Tips For Setting Up A Spray Booth

I just got a good deal on a compressor it's a $600 Campbell Hausfeld that I got for $100 :D so in the near future I'm going to set up a spray booth in my shop. I will only be spraying water based lacquer. Would a regular 16 inch fan pointed out a window be fine. I am planning on attaching some tubing to the ceiling and attaching 2 shower curtains together to make them higher and using those to make a temporary room when I'm spraying. Is this a decent idea?

As long as you only spray the waterbase lacquer (non-flammable) you should be okay. The dried over spray is flammable so keep that in mind. Also, wear the appropriate respirator for your protection.

Make sure that your spray area is as clean as possible from any dirt, dust or other particulate that could get on your finish. With temp type spray booths some people lightly wet mop the spraying area to help keep dust down to a minimum.

My booth is on a table in the basement and is a three section wood frame with hinges on it so I can fold it up and get it out of the way. It is covered in plastic and has a box fan with a filter on the front of it. However, I am thinking of doing the same kind of setup as you are with the tubing and shower curtains. Don't forget to have something like plastic above your booth to keep dust from falling into it. I couldn't believe the amount of dust that is on top of the piece of plastic I used for my booth.

I recently saw this portable greenhouse that I thought might work out okay for outside spraying or if you have the room maybe even inside. http://www.target.com/Dream-House-Portable...5905531-4261458

Good Luck,

Jeff

I haven't built my booth yet, but a good idea is to find a way to include a filter for your air intake. As the fan is drawing air out, it has to be replaced and the new air may contain dust. But if you can seal off the curtain a little better and cut in a frame for a filter, that will eliminate a lot of the dust.

The plastic and shower curtains might have a problem. Believe it or not a good box fan flows enough cfm to produce a pretty decent vacuum in a small space. You could always just anchor the shower curtains somehow with velcro but they might still puff inwards toward the window. Like stated above, get a furnace filter that's the size of the box fan, this will help a ton with keeping the fan and window clean. Another thing you could consider is to construct a spray hood out of cardboard boxes or plywood. Really the only place overspray goes is in the direction that you're spraying. The hood sort of funnels everything to the fan, and then outside. Then you could have a little mobile spray hood to use wherever there's a window, or even outside.

Here's the first thing to consider.

A paint booth exists first and foremost for safety. Keeping stuff out of your paint is a side effect.

Even water based paints have health risks. So eye and breathing protection is a must.

A paint suit and gloves are also a great idea.

The paint suit will also reduce the stuff that ends up in your paint by great degree.

I would build something with a frame that is sealed and has controlled airflow.