One Piece Maple Guitar

This is the first one I did with a solid Maple body.(It's not a very good pic)

This has a bright tone to my cloth ears. I used Fender C/S Texas Specials for pups and a four way.

It's got plenty of twang.

I have another one piece I just finished, it's a real mutt I screwed up the finish on. I haven't even got strings on it yet, but I can post a pic if you want to see it.

Steve

DSC00466.jpg

That is not "one piece"

That is a set neck...

Original poster specified one piece of wood.

Yes, that is a set neck. The original poster wasn't very clear on what he meant. I thought I cleared that up in my last post.

We weren't talking about the same thing. I was referring to a one or two piece body.

Edited by NotYou

Front2.jpg

Another 1-piece solid maple body. I guess I could have used up the whole plank of wrn maple to make a true 1 piece ie. neck and body of the same wood, but the mere idea is ridiculous to me not to mention a waste of wood. The neck on this guitar is clean, quartersawn eastern hardrock. The body is moderately flamed western or "bigleaf" maple. A complete body/neck combo in eastern maple would weigh a ton. Maybe you could do it all in wrn maple but its not really suitable neck wood.

Don't let the internet get you so excited.

Haha...sounds like you are the excited one...I have been here too long to get excited by every new wannabe,Mr. Iknoweverythingexceptthelingoofbuildingguitars. :D

I erased that part right when you quoted it I think. I don't want to argue with a completely stranger on the internet. We both interpreted the OP differently. Leave it at that.

I came hear to talk about guitars, not argue with some kid on his computer.

This "wannabe" has to go to his shop now to build guitars.

Ok so PSW is correct (i read it the same way) so first off you would need tofind a piece of maple that is big enough well thats not too hard i know where a few maple trees are that are big enough and maple isn't a extremely common tree here well not as common as oak or pine.

wow totaly off subject sorta a friend of mine has some old black walnut trees in his back yard i was looking at the bas off one of them its plenty big do build a one peice walnut giutar but what i am drooling over is the what isn't seen im sure there is enough burl walnut in the base to build an entire one piece body.

It's do-able, although very good seasoning is a must. Straight and even grain in the neck's tensioned area is also important otherwise you might encounter twist when it's strung up. The truss rod will have to be mounted from underneath the neck and filleted if you're not having a seperate fingerboard. You should be able to cut a piece of maple from under the neck to grain match what you rout out.

I say do it. There are reasons as to why not to do it, but I don't feel as though it's enough to make this a non-project. How about carving the top so the pickup covers are an integral piece of the instrument? That would be awesome.

Edited by Prostheta

I say do it. There are reasons as to why not to do it, but I don't feel as though it's enough to make this a non-project.

Unless the motivation is that you just don't want to make make a neck join or do the more economic and structurally easier neck through construction! This is not a non-project...but it wouldn't be easy and there are a lot or reasons not to...and of course the reason "why?"...I don't think that this method, even if successfully done, would do for your concept what you appear to think it would.

havnt we seen a few guitars made from 1 solid piece of wood before around here.. wasnt there one a few months ago in GOTM that the maker had made semi hollow by carving it out through the f-holes. Its definately possible... i am not sure why people would do it. I suppose it comes down to the fewer pieces of wood being better/having more sustain idea .. not something i beleive myself tbh i think any tonal advantages there may or may not be from having no joins is out weighed by the problems you would have finding a suitable piece of wood. its easy to find a bit of wood big enough, but stable, straight grained and perefct in all the right places is much easier to control with a seprate neck and body

ok, the other issue.. all maple guitars (whether 1 or more peices). it all comes down to material selection. if you chose badly you end up with something quite heavy and bright, chose well and it can actually be quite a warm and quite complex tone... but usually with plenty of clarity