Looking For Cnc Or Laser Cutting Help...

Jehle

Hello again everybody.

Since I've been totally focused on making cigar box guitars for the past 2 years or more now, I've gotten to the point where measuring the fret positions for every guitar is a tedious chore. I don't look forward to it. I came up with a design for a jig to simplify measuring the frets to customize the string scale to fit the cigar box and the neck attached to it. Just coming up with the design was the hard part, or so I thought...

I drew up my design and started hunting around for a place to stamp it out of aluminum, steel, or laser cut it out of clear acrylic. Just to make one jig the cost skyrocketed to anywhere from $500 to $1000 and up!!!!

I started looking at homebrew CNC machines today. Like I really have the free time to tinker with something like that. I've looked at just buying one off the shelf - 5 grand right there (or 5 fret jigs).

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'd like to open up the topic to you guys. I have a really good idea. It's never been done before. It's so dern simple that I think other guitar makers could use something like this. But, the cost of having something made for me is way out of my price range. I need to find a cheap way to make a bunch of these things. They have to be accurate which is why I was going for CNC or laser cut templates.

Any tips, advice, offers to help are welcome.

Thanks,

I drew up my design and started hunting around for a place to stamp it out of aluminum, steel, or laser cut it out of clear acrylic. Just to make one jig the cost skyrocketed to anywhere from $500 to $1000 and up!!!!

I am surprised you cannot get the fret pattern cut at a reasonable price. If you figure the Luther suppliers sell fret patterns at 50% - 60% over cost, then the costs should be under $20 in quantity. A fret pattern is not a complicated undertaking so I don't see the $500 to $1000 price point. I would also laser stainless steel as Stumac does for production work.

I would find out what you are paying for, maybe its the software work that is costing so much? If it is it would be cheaper to provide them the files to do the work and not a drawing. I am not so sure a home brew mill would be your best bet as tolerances for that kind of job should be very high. Maybe someone has the equipment handy. You may also want to post your requirements on the CNC-Zone forums, just don't mention price in your post.

Good luck, if you find a cheap Shop to do the work let me know.

Hello again everybody.

Since I've been totally focused on making cigar box guitars for the past 2 years or more now, I've gotten to the point where measuring the fret positions for every guitar is a tedious chore. I don't look forward to it. I came up with a design for a jig to simplify measuring the frets to customize the string scale to fit the cigar box and the neck attached to it. Just coming up with the design was the hard part, or so I thought...

I started looking at homebrew CNC machines today. Like I really have the free time to tinker with something like that. I've looked at just buying one off the shelf - 5 grand right there (or 5 fret jigs).

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'd like to open up the topic to you guys. I have a really good idea. It's never been done before. It's so dern simple that I think other guitar makers could use something like this. But, the cost of having something made for me is way out of my price range. I need to find a cheap way to make a bunch of these things. They have to be accurate which is why I was going for CNC or laser cut templates.

Thanks,

Pm me I have a friend with an Epilog laser. 12 x 24 in. I'm sure he can help you at a reasonable cost.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Hello again everybody.

Thanks,

Hi, if you are interested in homebrew CNC go hang out at the CNCZone - http://www/cnczone.com - there is a musical instrument construction forum and GREAT advice on home CNC building. Using 8020 aluminum pieces and gecko electronics you can make a pretty decent machine that just bolts together now.

-James

Jehle, check out mfgquote.com. You can post up some dimensioned drawings of the parts you need, list the specs, etc, and manufacturers will bid on it. I use it regularly to find new suppliers for the company I design car parts for. I've gotten many good deals through that site, and I've also built up quite a catalogue of preferred suppliers using them. :D . If it really is simply laser cutting that you need done, it should not be very expensive at all. $500 worth of laser cut parts would comprise either very expensive materials, very elaborate cuts, or a really high quantity.

peace,

russ