Noise: Not Hum...radio Signal!

Newbeeguitarmod

This may be a "no brainer" for some but, I've been stumped with it for quite some time.

I'm having some interference issues in my signal. This isnt hum. First let me explain a couple things: I live just about a mile from 2 large radio towers for a local radio station. I live in a small one bedroom apartment and, have to run everything thru a headphone set-up just to even jam. I'm using a V-amp pro in a rack system with a Digitech Quad and, an Aphex aural exciter. All these are plugged into a juicegoose power conditioner. I also use an FCB1010 to control my presets,ect. in the V-amp. The signal is being ran thru a Fostex four track and, out to my PC. I monitor via the PC.

Heres the question: I'm fairly sure I've narrowed the problem down to the instrument cable. It seems when I move the cable in different directions I pick up the radio station signal thru all my equipment. Now this is a fairly new cable and, as far as I know its shielded I believe. (I could be wrong, I'm assuming all newer cables are shielded) I've tried other cables with the same result. I use mostly Whirlwind. I purchased the power conditioner just last year thinking it would help the situation and it didn't do much at all for the noise.

Is there a reason I'm picking up this signal? And, what the heck am I going to do to get rid of it?!??

This is making recording any kind of track a total impossiblity. So, I havn't recorded anything concrete in almost a year. And, it seems to be getting worse evertime I do try to play.

I'm starting to think I may just have to move to play my guitar!!!!! And, in todays economy thats just not going to happen.

Yeah...sounds like your instrument cables combined with several preamps have created a fairly powerful antenna...

Try plugging direct into the recorder and monitor...still as bad?

Most likely it will require a bunch of tweaking and experimentation...

Also....what kind of pickups are you using (single coils are going to be worse) and how about the guitar...is that shielded?

ironically, i'm facing the exact same problem! i have a V-ampire and i get the same noise ONLY from my BC Rich which is equipped with an EMG KFK set. it's even clearer when i flip the booster switch so i'm guessing it's my internal wiring that's causing the antenna effect. are you facing this problem with ALL guitars? or just this particular one u're using?

do a small search on a thread called Bollywood made pickups =D that's the topic i started, might be helpful!

Yeah...sounds like your instrument cables combined with several preamps have created a fairly powerful antenna...

Try plugging direct into the recorder and monitor...still as bad?

Most likely it will require a bunch of tweaking and experimentation...

Also....what kind of pickups are you using (single coils are going to be worse) and how about the guitar...is that shielded?

I havn't tried the direct route as that if I do any other set-up I wont be able to record more than just the guitar...in which case I like to play with a drum machine to have patterns to jam to.

The guitar is an ESP LTD F200 and no, I don't think its shielded. Thats one of the mods I've been researching. Thing is I'm not sure whats the best way to go about it. And from what I've read other places newer guitars have a shielding paint that they've been using to help with noise. The control cover on the back and the tremspring covers are both covered with a type of foil on the inside which I would think would help the situation. The pickup and control wireing are all grounded to the trem. I'm using a Dimarzio 207 at the bridge and an EMG HZ on the neck(both humbuckers).

Edited by Newbeeguitarmod

ironically, i'm facing the exact same problem! i have a V-ampire and i get the same noise ONLY from my BC Rich which is equipped with an EMG KFK set. it's even clearer when i flip the booster switch so i'm guessing it's my internal wiring that's causing the antenna effect. are you facing this problem with ALL guitars? or just this particular one u're using?

do a small search on a thread called Bollywood made pickups =D that's the topic i started, might be helpful!

I may have to try it with my Dean..I've only been using the ESP as that the Dean is kinda torn up right at the moment doing mods to it...so as soon as I get the Dean set-up I'll try it and see what happens. I've noticed though that when a move further away from the rack and FCB the radio interference goes away. So, it may be the guitar not being properly shielded...I'm not sure. But as I said I've had a heck of a time trying to diagnose the problem and narrow it down to one particular thing. I've got my noise gate turned up so far to try and eliminate this noise that I'm cutting my sustain so bad that the note just disapears after about 2.5-4 seconds...which I can't really live with. I don't play out live hardly at all but, if I ever do get out to a gig I'm afraid I'm going to have to do so much reverse "tweeking" to the gate and such that I'll never get to play!

I may have to try it with my Dean..I've only been using the ESP as that the Dean is kinda torn up right at the moment doing mods to it...so as soon as I get the Dean set-up I'll try it and see what happens. I've noticed though that when a move further away from the rack and FCB the radio interference goes away. So, it may be the guitar not being properly shielded...I'm not sure. But as I said I've had a heck of a time trying to diagnose the problem and narrow it down to one particular thing. I've got my noise gate turned up so far to try and eliminate this noise that I'm cutting my sustain so bad that the note just disapears after about 2.5-4 seconds...which I can't really live with. I don't play out live hardly at all but, if I ever do get out to a gig I'm afraid I'm going to have to do so much reverse "tweeking" to the gate and such that I'll never get to play!

I read thru the Bollywood made pickups thread...and yes, very informative! Could it be possible this is just an EMG problem? Or maybe just a Behringer wiring issue? I was curious as to know wether you were able to try the capacitor fix? or change the leads length? Did either of them work? If anyone is interested I've found this site to be very helpful on the noise issue. It also has shielding method directions, problem is that its for a Fender strat with single coils and different control set-up so I'm not sure how to go about it with the ESP. Anyway heres the link :

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electr...enericnoise.php

This may be a "no brainer" for some but, I've been stumped with it for quite some time.

I'm having some interference issues in my signal. This isnt hum. First let me explain a couple things: I live just about a mile from 2 large radio towers for a local radio station. I live in a small one bedroom apartment and, have to run everything thru a headphone set-up just to even jam. I'm using a V-amp pro in a rack system with a Digitech Quad and, an Aphex aural exciter. All these are plugged into a juicegoose power conditioner. I also use an FCB1010 to control my presets,ect. in the V-amp. The signal is being ran thru a Fostex four track and, out to my PC. I monitor via the PC.

Heres the question: I'm fairly sure I've narrowed the problem down to the instrument cable. It seems when I move the cable in different directions I pick up the radio station signal thru all my equipment. Now this is a fairly new cable and, as far as I know its shielded I believe. (I could be wrong, I'm assuming all newer cables are shielded) I've tried other cables with the same result. I use mostly Whirlwind. I purchased the power conditioner just last year thinking it would help the situation and it didn't do much at all for the noise.

Is there a reason I'm picking up this signal? And, what the heck am I going to do to get rid of it?!??

This is making recording any kind of track a total impossiblity. So, I havn't recorded anything concrete in almost a year. And, it seems to be getting worse evertime I do try to play.

I'm starting to think I may just have to move to play my guitar!!!!! And, in todays economy thats just not going to happen.

When I worked at a radio/tv station we had a problem with an induced signal from a radar installation. We had to install ferrite beads in the power supply circuit and signal cables. I did a search on the net and came up with some info for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_B...rite_beads.html

http://www.antennex.com/shack/Dec99/beads.htm

When I worked at a radio/tv station we had a problem with an induced signal from a radar installation. We had to install ferrite beads in the power supply circuit and signal cables. I did a search on the net and came up with some info for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Ferrite_B...rite_beads.html

http://www.antennex.com/shack/Dec99/beads.htm

This sounds like the least expensive of any of the other solutions! Very interesting indeed! I have a few questions though. #1 Where would I put these beads? on the power cables of my equipment? or on the audio cables? or both? and...#2 one of the linked articles you posted mentioned something about the different types and ratings...what would you suggest for my particular situation?

I am not sure that ferrite beads will really assist the problem. These tend to be used to counteract EMI (electromagnetic interference) where as you would appear to be attracting RFI (radio frequency interference)...it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't spend too much on it. It could be in your actual power lines...do you get any interferance on a TV or other applicance?

I really think though that it is a combination of your sequential preamps and the capacitance in the cables you are using.

Have you tried troubleshooting as suggested yet by reducing things to the barest minimum? It is only by doing this and getting it to stop, that you can really isolate the problem and fix it. It sounds like the way you are running things is not right and needs to be addressed and changed for a workable noise free solution. One assumes the radio station itself is using a lot of audio equipment and not having such noise problems so a workable solution may well be possible if you find out what part of the system is causing it...

pete

If it won't go away you could build a faraday's cage around your rig (A brass cage that stops Radio signals and the like). I know it seems silly, but you could build a brass cabinet (brass mesh that is) for your gear to sit in whilst it is at home. Just a thought.

I had my phone sitting on top of my amplifier once and it started ringing and my amp picked up the signal and started ringing as well.

It scared the life out of me :D

I am not sure that ferrite beads will really assist the problem. These tend to be used to counteract EMI (electromagnetic interference) where as you would appear to be attracting RFI (radio frequency interference)...it might be worth a try, but I wouldn't spend too much on it. It could be in your actual power lines...do you get any interferance on a TV or other applicance?

I really think though that it is a combination of your sequential preamps and the capacitance in the cables you are using.

Have you tried troubleshooting as suggested yet by reducing things to the barest minimum? It is only by doing this and getting it to stop, that you can really isolate the problem and fix it. It sounds like the way you are running things is not right and needs to be addressed and changed for a workable noise free solution. One assumes the radio station itself is using a lot of audio equipment and not having such noise problems so a workable solution may well be possible if you find out what part of the system is causing it...

pete

Pete,

Absolutely no offense here..but, I think one of the articles that were posted insisted that it helps with RFI. And no, I'm not getting interference on anything else in my place. T.V. is fine, my stereo is fine, computer is okay. Its just my musical equipment thats having the issue. As far as I can tell its not necessarily a power problem either. What I mean by that is no other problems exsist with any other electronic equipment in the house. My set-up is routed properly as far as I can tell. I have this same issue with a Johnson J-station running "bare minimum". Just the J and guitar, couple cables to route it all. I'm starting to think it may just be the Fostex four track thats giving the problem as that if I don't run it thru there I don't get as much noise...but its still there. The reason I'm using the fostex is to have the four channels of mixing to be able to run my drum machine along with the guitar. With the J-station , I'm not sure why I get this. This is why I orginally thought it was one of my cables. People in my building at this complex always have issues with cellphones dropping out...I'm one of them. I don't have a landline so I always use the cell. But, the super insists its the radio towers that cause the signal to drop all the time. I'm not sure I believe that...but I'm not a electronics wiz kid either! This is why I'm so set on the idea that the radio station is "pumping out" way more juice than is necessary for broadcast. One of the Maintenance men I work with suggested to call the station and talk to one of the engineers to see if he would have any suggestions. Thats why the reply on the Ferrite beads seems such a good idea.

If it won't go away you could build a faraday's cage around your rig (A brass cage that stops Radio signals and the like). I know it seems silly, but you could build a brass cabinet (brass mesh that is) for your gear to sit in whilst it is at home. Just a thought.

I had my phone sitting on top of my amplifier once and it started ringing and my amp picked up the signal and started ringing as well.

It scared the life out of me :D

LOL, not a bad idea...but not realistic either! I don't think I could afford the brass mesh, and besides I have a cat that likes to climb on things....He'd have that thing torn up in 5 seconds!

I have a cat

AH...well there you go, maybe it is the static from the fur!

LOL, yea could be? Seriously, I'm gonna try out the Ferrite bead thing and see what happens. If that dosnt help I'm going to try the capacitor fix. If that dosn't work I guess I'll tear down the guitar and shield everything...but this is the last thing I feel like doing! I appricate everyones input on this and suggestions. I'll let you all know the outcome of the Ferrite bead fix as soon as I can get em' shipped to me...unless I find them locally...but I'm thinking this may be a task. Regards....

The ones at the bottom of the page the split beads are probably what you want. I would get enough for the input cable and the power cable. 1Mhz to 1000Mhz beads would be OK. Hope this works..

This sounds like the least expensive of any of the other solutions! Very interesting indeed! I have a few questions though. #1 Where would I put these beads? on the power cables of my equipment? or on the audio cables? or both? and...#2 one of the linked articles you posted mentioned something about the different types and ratings...what would you suggest for my particular situation?

Just last week at work I had a transit company complain about a Mexican radio station coming over the 450MHz trunk system I maintain. Reminded me of that song...I'm on a Mexican WOHOH radio.

Anyways, turns out the meth-heads stole all the copper grounding wire & rod from the tower site so I had to reground everything. Dug a trench all around the buildings and into a ground bus in each building and connected it all to new rods & each leg of the tower. That relieved most of it but the radio station has more grounding to do on there equipment. 25Kw of power 20ft. away from from my equipment and poorly grounded :D

Next, I need to go back up ASAP to install a camera system to try and catch the copper thieves.

In the apartment I used to live in I could pickup the fire department if I turned just right until I grounded my guitar properly.

Just last week at work I had a transit company complain about a Mexican radio station coming over the 450MHz trunk system I maintain. Reminded me of that song...I'm on a Mexican WOHOH radio.

Anyways, turns out the meth-heads stole all the copper grounding wire & rod from the tower site so I had to reground everything. Dug a trench all around the buildings and into a ground bus in each building and connected it all to new rods & each leg of the tower. That relieved most of it but the radio station has more grounding to do on there equipment. 25Kw of power 20ft. away from from my equipment and poorly grounded :D

Next, I need to go back up ASAP to install a camera system to try and catch the copper thieves.

In the apartment I used to live in I could pickup the fire department if I turned just right until I grounded my guitar properly.

Yeah, the copper thieves are unbelievable. Here in Vegas, people are tearing apart air conditioning units to get the copper out of them. I've seen pictures of a movie theater that was abandoned for a few years, that a new owner wants to rennovate, and copper thieves tore apart the AC units on the roof, pulled ALL of the wire out of the conduits and electrical panels, and even tore apart bathroom walls to get at the copper piping inside the wall. It's just plain ridiculous. :D

• 5 weeks later...