Fretwire Opinion Needed

kpcrash

It has been way too long - too depressing of a story, so we'll just say I'm rolling again, back among the living.

I am replacing a fretboard for someone and am curious as to the general opinion of using 6100. Is it too fat? The player's style is very heavy metal - everything from Kiss to Pantera, loves speed. I'm more of a blues player - so just looking for some general opinions here.

I admit I am a metal player... and I have used 6105 for years and it is big and fast. But 6100 is humongous and almost scalloped in the feel of the neck. When you use fret wire that big you need to plan the ergos of the neck. I try to build a thinner flatter neck profile (think Ibanez Wizard) when using really big wire like that as it adds to the overall dimensions of the neck.

My hands are usually sore the next day after a fret job with 6100 as it is difficult bend and cut.

6100 isn't that outrageous, i've used it as standard in most of my builds as it's what i'm used to being a collector of 80's Hamer shredders. Saying this i've now moved onto 6000 as Hamer used on it's Californian's and this really is big boys gear and makes 6100 look like F*nder vintage stuff by comparison.

6105 is pretty standard on a Wizard neck...

Having said that...I used to believe the hype that jumbo frets were "faster"...but it is just hype...and like was stated it is actually harder to play on...position playing is slightly easier...changing position is much tougher on jumbo frets...

What do I like now?Right in the middle of the road...Gibson explorer size...I can't think of the size...Medium narrow..?

I have a wizard neck I need to refret...I plan on using the ss mediums..

Kinda figured I'd lose a little height with leveling - or will that even be noticable on 6100?

Man...you really want to pay attention to the board prep...recrowning 6100 after a leveling is a bitch..

Prep the board right...seat the frets right...you may not need much leveling if any...but no,you won't lose noticeable height unless your fret work is horrible...

I have been there though...my first fret job was a mess...which is why I spend so much time on the prep work now.

Ha! You're talking to the guy that spends DAYS prepping a body for a paint job. I'm sure I'll hem and haw on this fretboard quite sometime. I don't mind making them from scratch so much, just that since this is a "replacement" I'm a little freaked out about making sure I have the measurements very, very accurate.