Which Book For Setup?

ByronBlack

I've recently finished my explorer build, but I'm not quite happy with a few issues (the three high strings seem to rattle/buzz more than I like) and my action is higher than it ought to be (to avoid buzzing/choke). I was looking at the Dan Erlwine books: The Repair Guide, and the 'how to make an electric guitar play great' - what would be best? They both seem to cover setups, but i'm not sure which one would be the most suitable..

TIA

I've recently finished my explorer build, but I'm not quite happy with a few issues (the three high strings seem to rattle/buzz more than I like) and my action is higher than it ought to be (to avoid buzzing/choke). I was looking at the Dan Erlwine books: The Repair Guide, and the 'how to make an electric guitar play great' - what would be best? They both seem to cover setups, but i'm not sure which one would be the most suitable..

TIA

I have the repair guide and just started reading the whole thing and it's great

The Book of Mormon has a pretty decent guitar set-up chapter, although it's written as if you're supposed to be working on several guitars at the same time.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it, I'm assuming it's a joke, but not being knowledgeable of said book, I fail to see the relevance/punchline.

guitar_player - thanks for the reply, does it go into a lot of detail on curing setup buzz issues? I was concerned that the book might be too general in that area as it caters for a lot of different types of issues as well as setups...

Thanks,

The Book of Mormon has a pretty decent guitar set-up chapter, although it's written as if you're supposed to be working on several guitars at the same time.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it, I'm assuming it's a joke, but not being knowledgeable of said book, I fail to see the relevance/punchline.

guitar_player - thanks for the reply, does it go into a lot of detail on curing setup buzz issues? I was concerned that the book might be too general in that area as it caters for a lot of different types of issues as well as setups...

Thanks,

It doesn't go into great detail about it as far as I have read. It gives a lot of measurements and stuff like that and has a lot of info on fretwork which is an usual cause of buzzing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just finished a Explorer with a Tuneomatic and am assuming you are using one as well. I have found with a TOM the string height is a compromise as you cant adjust each string individually like a Strat.

Assuming frets were levelled OK with a straight neck then check string height at nut by fretting at 3rd fret and high E string should just clear 1st fret for 2 plain strings and fractionally more for each wound string as you move up to the low E. Check you have a little relief when sighting down neck from the headstock.

I use the Fender setup guide as the starting point for guitars now as most of the info is relevant for most guitars and is free to download.