Microplane Rotary Shapers

guitar_player

After seeing a few posts on here about how great they are and how the wood comes out smooth with no chance of tear out I decided I would buy the rotary shaper gift set and while I was at it I bought the rasp set thinking it would help with necks a contours. I received them today the template follower is almost impossible to put the 2 inch adapter on it and even then you need a thick template probably at least 3/4" to use it. Then I compared it to my router table (nothing special a table I had with my router screwed onto the bottom). It worked much better the wood came out smoother and it's much easier to use also it's faster and probably cheaper too (no need for replacement blades all the time a router bit lasts a long time). Just a heads up to anyone who is thinking about purchasing these for template following they'd probably be great for freehand work. The rasp set on the other hand are great and I love them they cut really fast and smooth and being able to use them on the pull stroke is great too.

I agree with this bit:

the template follower is almost impossible to put the 2 inch adapter on it and even then you need a thick template probably at least 3/4" to use it.

Other than that, I completely disagree. I found them VERY easy to use. They're not a real timesaver in comparison to a router - they take a LOT longer. BUT... they eliminate the tearout around the curves and do not burn the wood. They Do require some jiggery to use a template, but it's well worth the effort.

Apparently, they didn't work too well for Guitar Player. You'll find that with every tool. I'm not going to discount his opinions or experiences, but I do respectfully disagree. :D

I agree with this bit:

the template follower is almost impossible to put the 2 inch adapter on it and even then you need a thick template probably at least 3/4" to use it.

Other than that, I completely disagree. I found them VERY easy to use. They're not a real timesaver in comparison to a router - they take a LOT longer. BUT... they eliminate the tearout around the curves and do not burn the wood. They Do require some jiggery to use a template, but it's well worth the effort.

Apparently, they didn't work too well for Guitar Player. You'll find that with every tool. I'm not going to discount his opinions or experiences, but I do respectfully disagree. :D

Sorry I did go a little overboard with the post. I can see why people would like them I just think there's easier(cheaper) options. If I wasn't using them with a template I'd have no problem with them. I'm not really worried about time I just found my router made a nicer surface that would need less sanding and I found it easier. I am returning the rotary shaper set and the company is very understanding though