Is A Floyd Rose Worth It?

rubber314chicken

Is a Floyd Rose worth it?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ITS NOT A BLOODY TREMOLO ITS A VIBRATO!

apart from that, what mexican breed said is right you either want a vibrato or you don't want a vibrato it depends what you play :D

and even then it depends what you want it for :D I hae guitars with all different types of bridges but no floyd and know bigsby, I'd like a bigsby not fussed either way on a floyd but it could be fun i guess!

could vote for either because i don't beleive either B)

Edited by joshvegas

at what point does common usage overtake semantics! as far as i am concerned over 50 years of it being called a trem by the vast majority of people makes it an acceptable term... even if it is inaccurate

same goes for 'bolt-on' necks

anyway, floyds are good but never get a cheap one as they can be a mare. Originals or schallers are very nice units. personally i am also preferring kahlers recently... or wilkinsons when i want non-locking trems

A very strange question...you either have a use for a trem or you don't...but TOM aren't the only options either...

I have been really impressed with the Kahler for lots of reasons...I have never been a fan of floyds. In fact, I prefer a well set up more modern fender style fulcrum as on a strat with a good nut and locking tuners for instance.

Honestly, the floyd addressed problems of the eighties EVH and other extreme trem uses and hocky stick headstocks and such and to that extent they did a good job. The various little crude locking screws and cutting off the balls, clamping at the head and all the little tools, subbing your tuners for little adjustment screws at the bridge...never really appealed. Some of the designs that took it a little further like those from Ibanez looked good, but in many ways the kahler has the beat.

For one thing, the kahler can be used as a fixed bridge...for another the extent of wood that needs to be removed is far less.

A very strange question...you either have a use for a trem or you don't...but TOM aren't the only options either...

well, the thing is, I'm not that good at guitar, so I really don't know how useful a trem would be, which is really why I'm asking.

and you are right about the TOM not being the only other option... but I do prefer them to a bridge like this: abmtopload.jpg

I really feel that this poll is an unfair (or inaccurate) comparison.

I can't vote in this, because a) I have both types of bridge, :D I like both types of bridge, and c) it depends what type of stuff I'm playing!!

Horses for courses etc.

Each type has benefits and drawbacks in equal measure I reckon.

Here's just some:

TOMs: no "vi-bra-to" (see? I did read all the posts first!!), easier to intonate, doesn't move with picking hand, doesn't kill guitar sound if a string breaks, better sustain (allegedly)

Floyds: huge range of effects possible, tricky to set up and intonate accurately but very rewarding if successful!

Surely there's room in the world for both??

DJ

• 2 months later...

I have a licensed Floyed and I hate being restricted to E standard. Has crappy tone as well.

And I can't play with the nut unlocked because the metal nut causes the strings to go out of tune whenever I bend a string.

I've just discovered Ibanez's new SyncroniZR bridge. It can switch from from floating to non-floating with the flick of a switch.

Also it doesn't have a locking nut, it has a built in intonation adjustor, a spring tension adjusting thumb-wheel..... well you get the idea.

There are far better tremolo's than the Floyed out there

You will find out that without a locking nut a tremelo is worthless...that is if you intend to actually use it for for than the occasional gentle vibrato...

I set my floyds(originals...don't use a crap copy to judge the whole group) up to whatever tuning I desire(usually E flat or D standard),and I set the fine tuning screw such that I can spin the thumbwheel and drop into drop tuning anytime I want without unlocking the nut.

If you know what you are doing you can do that...and I am a divebomber....I have about 5 guitars with the floyd on them right now and I can abuse the hell out of them and never leave tune...

My suggestion is that if you don't have a need for a trem,do not buy a guitar with one...if you want to use a trem,then learn how to work with them...it takes me all of 10 minutes for a complete string change and tuning.

I wasn't judging the whole group, merely recounting my experiences with my licensed one.

Yeah I've played on an original, and it rocks. I also like the Edge pro series. Kahler's are my favourite locking trem though.

Too bad originals aren't found on many guitars nowadays. It's all import stuff.

My licensed one can't go far enough with the fine tuners to go to Dropped D, and I suspect most of it is plastic......

"Crap copy" is an understatement :D

More guitars are now available with the originals.....check out the esp line...but yeah,most liscensed trems are not too great...

The ibanez trems are good....especially the edge and the ZR...but I don't like the "tone" of the cast trem body...the new kahler trems are very nice...but they require a proper setup as well....I do like the way they raise off the body like a TOM ...feels very "right" to me...