Top Board Crack Fix

I guess this is the same fix for a guitar as it would be for a mandolin. I have a mandolin which top board cracked at the glue joint. How do I fix this? Do I fill it?

100_4661.jpg

link

link

One picture per post please. except in the "in Progress and finished section". Please take time to check out the forum rules in the Announcements section . BTW welcome to PG.

Mk

Edited by MiKro

I would seal the crack inside the sound board with masking tape and use clear slow cure epoxy glue to fill the crack. It will slowly seep down and fill the crack so it needs to be sealed so it doesn't leak out inside. Set the instrument up so the sound board sits level. You would also want to mask either side of the crack on the outside so you dont get epoxy on the finish. Use a tooth pick to drip the epoxy into the crack until filled level.

The trick is then to remove the tape on the outside and inside just as the epoxy starts to set up so the tape will pull away cleanly and not be bonded to the glue.

aslong as its stable I can't imagine it will affect the sound in anyway you'd notice.

You get some acoustic guitars with way more damage than that afterall :D

nice mandolin by the way

• 2 weeks later...
I guess this is the same fix for a guitar as it would be for a mandolin. I have a mandolin which top board cracked at the glue joint. How do I fix this? Do I fill it?

100_4661.jpg

link

link

One picture per post please. except in the "in Progress and finished section". Please take time to check out the forum rules in the Announcements section . BTW welcome to PG.

Mk

this mondolin is build with a solid top wood [sprus].the couse for the split at the center joint is the shrinking of the wood.

remember,this is not a crack.aiging is a hardening [shrinking ] of the mikrocels of the wood.when this hapens the wood loosses its flexibility and cracks ezy when expoused to chenging umidity levels.the proper way to fix this mandlin is by insrting strip of aiged sprus wood.this is a job for expert luthier.

I would seal the crack inside the sound board with masking tape and use clear slow cure epoxy glue to fill the crack. It will slowly seep down and fill the crack so it needs to be sealed so it doesn't leak out inside. Set the instrument up so the sound board sits level. You would also want to mask either side of the crack on the outside so you dont get epoxy on the finish. Use a tooth pick to drip the epoxy into the crack until filled level.

The trick is then to remove the tape on the outside and inside just as the epoxy starts to set up so the tape will pull away cleanly and not be bonded to the glue.

I wonder if adding a very small cleat may help with future expansion problems??