Australian Woods-what To Use?

I´m sorry, I tried to move the original topic from the "Electronics Section" to the "Solidbody Guitar and Bass Chat" section...and somehow I managed to delete it. My apologies to the original poster...

Sorry :D

did i post it there oops :D oh well it was pretty long winded anyway. i was talkin about the timber that grows in my area and wondering if anyone new wat would be any good, mountain ash is pretty common and radiata and cypress pine grow all over the place. i made my last guitar out of ash sounded great but a little heavy so i was wondering if anyone knows of anything lighter maybe for a tele body? also does anyone no any good mills etc in my area? i live in West Wyalong NSW sorta near wagga, griffth and forbes around central NSW. and does anyone know any good aus fingerboard wood? what imported stuff is common at the moment? has anyone tryed radiata or cypress? does anyone know how to tell from alpine and mountain ash? how much do luthiers usually pay for there wood? cuz i got the last lotta ash for $14 and i see places on the net that will post fancy looking stuff for like $100 wich seems silly if your just gonna paint it. so is stuff from bunnings profesional grade or doesnt it matter so long as its a reasonable piece of wood?

Edited by replaceablehead

did i post it there oops :D oh well it was pretty long winded anyway. i was talkin about the timber that grows in my area and wondering if anyone new wat would be any good, mountain ash is pretty common and radiata and cypress pine grow all over the place. i made my last guitar out of ash sounded great but a little heavy so i was wondering if anyone knows of anything lighter maybe for a tele body? also does anyone no any good mills etc in my area? i live in West Wyalong NSW sorta near wagga, griffth and forbes around central NSW. and does anyone know any good aus fingerboard wood? what imported stuff is common at the moment? has anyone tryed radiata or cypress? does anyone know how to tell from alpine and mountain ash? how much do luthiers usually pay for there wood? cuz i got the last lotta ash for $14 and i see places on the net that will post fancy looking stuff for like $100 wich seems silly if your just gonna paint it. so is stuff from bunnings profesional grade or doesnt it matter so long as its a reasonable piece of wood?

Wood from bunnings is not something i would recommend for luthiery.

Looking at Australian luthier suppliers websites will give you an idea of what australian timbers are used:

http://www.luthierssuplies.com

http://www.guitarwoods.com.au/catalog/index.php

Edited by RGman

it doesnt need to be from bunnings but i was just sorta meaning a regular timber yard would probly hav som adequate stuff dont have to go too cheap just reasonable. anyway i think ive looked at just about everthing thats commonly used for instument buildin and now im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on anything thats never been tried maybe somthin a bit unusual?

it doesnt need to be from bunnings but i was just sorta meaning a regular timber yard would probly hav som adequate stuff dont have to go too cheap just reasonable. anyway i think ive looked at just about everthing thats commonly used for instument buildin and now im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on anything thats never been tried maybe somthin a bit unusual?

The only stuff my local (non-Bunnings) timberyard could offer is Tassie Oak (makes a good neck 'cos it's quartersawn) and ply for the body. Maybe you could glue multiple bits of Tassie Oak together for a body too.