Pin Router

Rick500

I just got one from them (1/2" pattern) and used it only once so far, but the cut was clean, the bearings were smooth and I like that the bearing retainer is smaller than the bearing itself. I would imagine that would help reduce unnecessary bearing wear or blowout, but I am not certain, just conjecture.

I think if you look at most situations in instrument building, adding a pin over your router is the wrong way to go.

You would be better off with a shopfox overarm router base ($$$) or use the plans provided in the MIMF forums. This way you can see what your doing since the pattern goes under your work.

I think if you look at most situations in instrument building, adding a pin over your router is the wrong way to go.

You would be better off with a shopfox overarm router base ($$$) or use the plans provided in the MIMF forums. This way you can see what your doing since the pattern goes under your work.

MIMF forums...Where? Been searching.

Thx

Here it is:

Popular Mechanics Pin Router Plans

Edited by imott

I bought several bits from MLCS a year or two ago and they have served me very well. Anytime I need a bit that is where I look, the prices are nice, they have many different types and qualities and its always free shipping in the US. They also have great sales often where you can get sets of bits very well priced. I have a straight bit that I have used for thicknessing wood on my router jig and it has thicknessed quite a bit of very hard woods and is still very sharp and ready to go. I'd say these bits are worth a try. I haven't had any problems or concerns with them yet. I've been wanting to try some of the triplewing bits, the katana bits sound good as well, so far I've only bought the standard bits aside from some spiral carbide bits that work great. I just tried them due to the better price and free shipping, but now continue buying due to the quality of the bits. J

Edited by jmrentis

• 3 weeks later...
Here is one that iam currently building, It keeps all work being done to the top and it so far seems very stable.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/articles/pinrouter/

Excellent jig, and I love the rosette.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is one that iam currently building, It keeps all work being done to the top and it so far seems very stable.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/articles/pinrouter/

I just made one similar I still need to find a better way to clamp the router down I might just have to break down and buy a hold down. I drilled a hole through my table and stuck the shank of a 1/2'' shank router bit in it as a pin and I drilled a hole in 2x4 and used that to line the 1/2'' router bit up with it and screwed down the thing. I need to get a longer router bit though I can only go down a little bit more than 3/4" on top of the 3/8" template.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the MCLS setup (from Axminster in the UK, but it's the same thing), and while it won't do everything a pin router will (particularly captive cavities, chambering are a no-go) it's cheap, it's a simple addition to a router table, and it works pretty darn well. Perfectly usable for most of the pattern routing tasks I do (bodies, profiling, truss rods, etc.)