Multiscale (fanned Fret) Pickup Placement

Eddie Loves You

There may still be issues in that respect, especially when you factor in string bending....the solution is to either use rail/bar pickups or having offset coils with compensated polepiece placement. You're definitely in the right ballpark if you can work this out using CAD (I would) :-D

Go with a standard placement (i.e. perpendicular to the centerline), otherwise you'll run into volume balance issues.

But the pickups would then effectively be reading the treble strings progressively closer to the bridge; that is what I hope to avoid by angling them.

Are the magnetic fields really that small and concentrated? Do the fields around each pole piece overlap?

I'm not an expert on pickups by any means, but I believe that the fields are sufficiently uneven across the width that pickups are manufactured for trem spacing to account for the marginal difference in bridge string spacing spec. Somebody will hopefully chime in regarding actual field shape/strength better than I can, but the fact that these products exist say a lot. String bending physically moving the vibrating string out from neck pickup polepiece fields might be worthwhile covering also....again, not really within my field!! :D

Go with a standard placement (i.e. perpendicular to the centerline), otherwise you'll run into volume balance issues.

But the pickups would then effectively be reading the treble strings progressively closer to the bridge; that is what I hope to avoid by angling them.

just like on a strat really!! so far i have used standard humbuckers perpendicular to the centreline for convienience and it means i can use the pickups i like. here is the latest nearly done:

fin1.jpg

why not a dual rail pickup.....no individual poles, just rails.

Yeah, if I make my own I may go that route (though there isn't much info on making those, either).

I already have the pickups that I drew into Illustrator (which is why I wanted to know if they'd work, but I guess I could go with some different ones. The only 7 string rail pickups I know of are the X2N-7's. Maybe the 7 string Blackouts but I want to stay passive.