Set-neck Exp Copy

Well, for what it's worth i've strung her up and aside from a bit of levelling and adjustment required in the top end due to notes choking and proper nut being cut out of white Corian, she lines up great along the sides of the fretboard (~3mm either side) and the neck angle (3-4mm above lowest bridge height). I was really concerned about the whole glued-in neck thing as I don't think I could take one apart without using fire or a hammer. I don't mind admitting that I was very very scared :-\

I used a more traditional ABR-1 sized bridge because the Nashville looks too chunky on my black EXP, and with it being black-on-white, this would look worse, IMO. The bridge I bought does have the big solid posts and screwdriver adjustment rather than the puny thin threaded posts. Drilled and installed a pair of black straplock buttons too. Just got to cut myself a cavity cover, so i'll need to get some ABS and copper foil, methinks. Also installed a Neutrik locking jack socket.

I really like the look of EMGs (the whole JH EXP thing) but I think i'm eventually going to swap them out for some passives. The 81 in the bridge feels so unfocused despite it sounding really nice in the neck position for soloing. Tempted by SD Full Shreds for a giggle, or a Full Shred and an SD Custom Custom.

Going to strip her down a couple of weeks, apply the last coat of leather dye to the fingerboard (it doesn't come off on your fingers, FYI) and then clearcoat with 2K acrylic lacquer. Gives me time to figure out a headstock design to seal underneath it also!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this got sat in the sidelines for ages for several reasons. I wasn't happy with the original colour coat from contamination and small dings I hadn't previously noticed showing in the white. On top of that - after reshooting colour - the clear I chose was completely inadequate. Strip, sand, refill, reshoot colour and clear properly.

I chose a laser printer waterslide decal for the headstock of an "ESP-derived" design. Enough of a nod in the right direction given the instruments ESP design heritage, and enough to show that it isn't actually an ESP ;-)

exp10.jpg

The low resolution of this image doesn't show the deliberate halftone patterning in the background as well as it truly is however!

Yeah, this got sat in the sidelines for ages for several reasons. I wasn't happy with the original colour coat from contamination and small dings I hadn't previously noticed showing in the white. On top of that - after reshooting colour - the clear I chose was completely inadequate. Strip, sand, refill, reshoot colour and clear properly.

I chose a laser printer waterslide decal for the headstock of an "ESP-derived" design. Enough of a nod in the right direction given the instruments ESP design heritage, and enough to show that it isn't actually an ESP ;-)

exp10.jpg

The low resolution of this image doesn't show the deliberate halftone patterning in the background as well as it truly is however!

Love the graphic. Im looking to do a similar HS graphic for my Maiden USA Jackson copies, but Im having trouble deciding how to go about it. I thought doing the "Jackson" waterslide graphic as an abalone inlay would distinguish it enough, but now Im not sure... I guess well see. Great work on this one man!