Ok Can The Strings Be Too Close To The Body?

I know that there are usually issues with the bridge height but I'm routing out a place for my tune-o so that isn't a problem. For my last guitar I stepped the neck up above the body so that the strings were plenty high for the bridge. For this guitar I wasn't planning on doing that, just the fretboard and the frets would account for the height that the strings have to be, is this ok?

-Thanks everybody

The only thing you need to be careful of is to make sure that the pickups aren't too close to the strings. Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem.

You might find it annoying to have to pick so close to the top of the guitar. You have to have some distance there, otherwise you run the risk that the tip of the pick will be hitting the guitar (or at least the pickups).

Besides, when you say 'usually there are issues'...well, that's not true. If you build the guitar correctly according to the hardware you've chosen, then there shouldn't be any issues.

So in your case, usually with a TOM, the neck is set at an angle to accommodate for the added height of this style of bridge.

Recessing the TOM slightly allows you to attach the neck straight on, like a Fender or an Ibanez-- but there's no reason why you can't have the string height set at the proper distance from the body. So that means the top of the fretboard should end up about 10 mm above the body surface and the height of the TOM saddle notches will be around 13 mm or so (better check those measurements, I'm working from memory here).