Grinding Sides Of Trem Base Plate To Make Narrower?

Greetings,

I'm working on a project based around an old Ibanez Radius body. The orginal trem was an Ibanez Edge, although their Lo-Pro Edge would also fit. I was trying to avoid the usual Floyd allen wrench hassles by installing a new trem that strings up like a regular trem -- no locking saddles and hence no allen wrench required. Guitar Fetish sells what they call a "Floyd Rose Fastloader" (not to be confused with Floyd's own "Speedloader" which requires special strings) that got decent reviews.

So I bought this thing ($59) but it's too wide for the route in the body. Not by much -- say about 2-3mm plus a little extra for clearance. I could try and widen the body cavity slightly, but I just refinished the body (with considerable advice and guidance from this forum), and if it were to go like most of my routing projects, it'd be less than perfect when I was done. Plus, I might decide that this trem is crap and want to switch back to something else later.

Finally, to my question... I'm considering using a grinding wheel to shave the edges of the trem base plate and make it ~2mm narrower per side. This is a chrome trem, so I'd undoubtedly lose the chrome finish on the sides, but it normally sits down into the cavity and the sides wouldn't be easily visible. Does this sound like a very bad idea?

Thanks,

Bert

Difficult to say without seeing the trem itself really...Depends on it's construction. Do you have a link where I can see a picture of it?

In theory though, I can't see why it would be a problem, provided the required 2mm doesn't encroach on the workings of the trem itself. Won't look pretty though, as you said!

Do you have a link where I can see a picture of it?

Here's link with a pic, but it's not a great pic:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html

They claim it's "solid machined steel" and that appears to be true. It actually seems to be well built so it'd be nice to try it.

Bert

Looks like you probably could, yeah. Check around the trem arm holder though, make sure you leave enough material round there for it to be good and strong.

Has anyone experimented with the DIY plating kits you can purchase? I've seen them at Antique Electronics Supply and a few other places - they seem designed for touch up work more than plating a large piece - seems like it would be ideal for something like this, but I don't really know how well they work.

I would put something over the edges after you grind them down (laquer, clear nail polish, etc.) as if you open a route for oxidation under cheaper chrome plating, it usually results in pitting and chipping of the finish down the road.

I would put something over the edges after you grind them down (laquer, clear nail polish, etc.) as if you open a route for oxidation under cheaper chrome plating, it usually results in pitting and chipping of the finish down the road.

Good idea about resealing the raw edges. I'll also check into the faux chrome plating stuff.

Thanks,

Bert