Lace + Duncan = ...

L0Rd

Hey guys,

me again. I just wired my pickguard witch one Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and 2 lace sensors in the middle and neck. I wired all like my diagram told me to... and when I plug it in, the sound of the lace sensors is little compared to the seymour duncan hot rails... How can I get more equal outputs? I know some will say, ''get the hotrails less close to the strings'' but the problem is more from the lace sensors, like I can't get enough gain or something...

here's the diagram I followed.

Diagram

Thanks for your answers!

Hi...

Unlikely that your wiring is at fault if all seems to be working ok as per the diagram...the real problem is trying to mix a high gain humbucker with low gain lace's...not a good mix of pickups dare I say!

You don't mention which Lace's they are, but a lot of them are designed to have low magnet power and impedances to get a clear bell like tone...that means less output and volume compared to other pickups, but that's not a problem if you turn up the amp to compensate. Mixing a high gain pickup though is less advisable exactly because of these level discrepancies.

One potential solution is to wire the HB as parallel as this will reduce the power while retaining the HB effect...probably a better application of the switching than splitting the coils on a rail as that rarely sounds good...

Anyway...not sure what else to say on this one!

pete

If you feel like you absolutely must have things as they are but still have more output from your single coils, I would suggest a buffer circuit. That could also potentially reduce the loading between HB and SC's. Of course, depending on what kind of input impedance it needs to see, the design could be anything from a simple JFET or op-amp stage to something much more complicated. The buffer would go between the SC's and the switch. You could put in a trimpot to be able to adjust the gain the buffer provides. That is the only real solution I can think of.

humbuck8.gif

something like the above might help...no doubt there are other versions about if you poke around...SD probably has something...

series is the way a HB is normally wired with one coil running through the other, while parallel is both coils going separately to the controls...parallel to one another...(sorry, early morning post)

The parallel position will be quieter and a little more single coil like but still hum canceling...this setting could provide a little more balance...then you could switch to series mode for the full series HB effect whcih could also make a useful solo switch. Probably more useful than a splitter on a rail pickup.

A buffer would help, but better yet a mixer/buffer...this makes your guitar active and so requires batteries and will change the tone yet again. It is an option as ripthorn rightly points out, but perhaps not a direction you want to go...

Seems a good idea to me! What if I use this one instead...I would have 3 choices... Series/parallel switch with switch for coil cut.

But what effect provides ''coil cut''? i know it has no hum-canceling but, aside that...

humbuck6.gif

Edited by L0Rd