Cani Save This Project ?cani Remove Or Tone Down A Wood Dye?

I am doing an Sg project. Flame maple top on mahogany , the relative i am building for wanted it that reddish cherry color like heritage cherry Gibson does. I selected a trans tint dye that i felt was similar. I tested it on a large piece of lie wood. i am not liking the color. Can i remove it or most of it? and then go over it with a minwax stain or another dye tint? anyone done this?

I am doing an Sg project. Flame maple top on mahogany , the relative i am building for wanted it that reddish cherry color like heritage cherry Gibson does. I selected a trans tint dye that i felt was similar. I tested it on a large piece of lie wood. i am not liking the color. Can i remove it or most of it? and then go over it with a minwax stain or another dye tint? anyone done this?

Just try sanding it off. Depending on the type of stain, you can probably rub it off. You might have to remove a lot of the wood, though. Mahogany is porous and the flames in the maple will absorb a lot of the stain, but you might be able to do it.

If you can't get rid of it, it could make for a good experimentation piece. Take advantage of it.

Also, if you can't get rid of all of it on the maple, you can still sand it then re-stain it. If you do it right, you can get an amazing contrast in the color. I'm pretty sure the process explained in the forums somewhere.

Are you trying to remove it from the piece of lie wood or did you dye the maple already. If you dyed the maple and mahogany I would sand out most of it. You are going to have a hard time getting it out of the flame, but I would leave it. That should help accentuate the figuring. Just sand it out of the rest of the maple, so it only shows in the flame.