possible to mod a setneck axe?

i have just discovered the scalloped fretboard feel and i love it. i have scalloped my custom bolt on and i couldnt be happier.

now in comparison my jumbo fret Washburn just feels flat and emotionless.....

in relevance to the thread title - would it be possible to scallop it? sounds easy enough but here are the problems.

1) its set-neck with last 3 frets direcly over the body

2) it has abound fretboard.

now i have experience of doing this job, but would it be possible to do it? would the binding be able to handle this?

obviously not to mention that any ****-up would be the end of the guitar; but i'd really like it to be scalloped

:D

brian, are you the guy that put the scalloping the neck on the PG site? if so that guide was really useful, i was quite scared or scalloping my brand new ibanez's beautiful neck, but i followed your guide, and i had no cock-ups! i didnt have the dremel, so i made blocks, radiused by planing the bottom and sanding till smothe.. i double sided taped the sandpaper to these. i havent dont the final sand, cos i havent any 1500-2000 grit paper.

btw, that dbl sided tape was very very strong!! when i was replacing the sand paper it ripped splinters out of the wood, pine stuff.

scalloped boards rock!!

i didnt even hit a single fret :D but it took a huge time doing it by hand, im lokin for one of those dremels in future i think!!! was about 16 hours work!!

do you know if the rotary dremel things with the sanding drums would be any good, i think they might be a bit uncontrollable... lets test it on brothers guiter, lmao.

i used lemon oil, my it smells great but doesnt taste good!!

cya later

mike

really cool, thanks.

but with no dremel...... gonna be another 10 hours of work plus..... id ont mind though

also another thing, the other time i scalloped and i did it quite deep, to the point of completely removing the inlay (which i did intend to do). now this time, i wonna leave the inlay alone, lol, so how far should scallop radius be approximately?

and one more thing...... any point / or is it worth scalloping LP Standard neck (the trapezoid inlayed ones)...... basically the inlay is big and beautiful.... but nothing beats the feel of a scalloped fingerboard.

so.....?

btw MikeB, you're from UK, where did you get lemon oil? i could find any anywhere (i live in London as well)

in my experience, a dremel drum sanding attachment would be a) hard to control and :D too wide for the upper frets. I'm only starting out but my personal experience with dremel style tools so far leads me to believe that.

so long

ace