Floyd Upgrade

Hello all,

I was recently checking out a website that I found interesting. They offer several (and some higher priced) upgrades for Floyd trems. One of these is a line of Brass big blocks to replace the stock block. The vendor claims that Brass for one helps with tonality. And, increasing the size of the block adds mass and thus more tone and fullness to notes. I was curious if anyone here has done this upgrade and if so, are the claims valid. I was considering upgrading to a brass big block if it fits my application. They also offer titanium saddles and blocks but these are pretty pricey for the guitar I'm upgrading. I want an upgrade but not for $700 bucks! lol The Brass is more in my price range (30-40 USD). If anyone is interested the website is :

http://floydupgrades.com/index.php

Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Is it leggit, or all just hype?

On another sort of related note, How many springs are commonly used on a floyd? I think mine had 3 installed when I purchased it...but a fourth was added in the packaging. Is it only a matter of preference? From most that I've talked with ...that seems to be the case...I guess it just matters how much tension your wanting??? But I'm also considering reverse tension on the strings as I use mostly drop tunings and have had problems with buzz and string noise in the past. I was considering adding the fourth spring just to help this out.

Lata~J

• 1 month later...

If it is a liscened floyd than the best and only thing i would do is to put a original floyd in to it, but make sure the dimensions are the same if you do.

And about the springs, it really doesnt matter that much except if it is not floating parrallel to the body than you many need to add or remove a spring.

I had always heard that the brass makes the tone brighter, but have never seen it first hand.

As for the springs, you can use 3 or 4. 3 springs will end up with the claw screwed in further. Or if you prefer heavier strings than average. Read up on how to set up a Floyd, it should make it a little more clear. The floating trems are all about equilibrium. Use enough springs to keep the bridge sitting parallel to the body.

I've seen those enormous brass blocks before on eBay.

Every time I look at them I just wonder if the extra girth would mean that you'd get less travel available with the bar, because the block would be more likely to come into contact with the guitar body and prevent movement.

Hmm. :D

Anyone here made the switch, and could comment?

DJ

Hello all,

I was recently checking out a website that I found interesting. They offer several (and some higher priced) upgrades for Floyd trems. One of these is a line of Brass big blocks to replace the stock block. The vendor claims that Brass for one helps with tonality. And, increasing the size of the block adds mass and thus more tone and fullness to notes.

The brass doesn't come in direct contact with the wood or strings. There's no way it could affect "tone".

As for mass, having more of it at the bridge could help with sustain, but that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen those enormous brass blocks before on eBay.

Every time I look at them I just wonder if the extra girth would mean that you'd get less travel available with the bar, because the block would be more likely to come into contact with the guitar body and prevent movement.

I recently needed to buy a 42 size block for a new guitar,so I bought one of the huge brass ones from that site...you are correct...you have to modify the trem rout for travel of the bigger block...

5 minutes with the dremel and it was done...as far as tone.....too early to tell...I don't think it is noticeable really...