Cool 1 Hum Design

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK...It's about time I dusted off this thread/project, and started posting again. I have been concentrating lately on work that pays thie bills. :D This run is still in the semi-R&D phase.

I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy, but I'm scrapping the bolt on necks I have made so far, and going with a set neck with a smooth heel. OK, I'm not "scrapping" them. I'm just setting them aside. I plan on finishing the bolt on's I have done ...someday....maybe :D ..

The new ones will have a ziricote board like I originally planned. I have to give credit to Jeremy (Jer7440). Thanks Jeremy! B) He busted out a 3D file for me with my specs & headstock. I hope to run the first ones later this week.

CNCneck.jpg

Wow Doug! Like I told you, I haven't been on here much in the last month....that guitar is looking awesome! I love the corroded fretboard!

Prostheta: When I machine a neck like this, I do it in 2 setups. I the first setup the cutter is perpendicular to the headstock and I cut the contour of just the headstock. In the second setup the cutter is perpendicular to the fretboard surface. In this setup I cut the neck taper and do all the surfacing (carving) on the back of the neck and headstock. When you cut it this way everything blends together nicely right below the headstock. I'm not sure if this is what Doug is doing...

• 2 years later...