Amp Problem

orgmorg

I've got a SWR workingmans 10 bass amp with a balanced xlr line out.

A while back, I plugged into this while everything was on, and got a loud pop.

I'm pretty sure I even saw a small blue flash from the back.

Anyhow, the output from this jack is now weak and distorted.

What happened? How do I fix it?

Another problem is that the amp has a constant hiss, regardless of the volume setting.

I'm pretty sure this started at the same time, but it's possible I could just be noticing it more now that I have to mic the amp to record.

Other than that, the amp works fine.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

George

If there was a spark, it is possible that it weakened the solder joint to the hot wire. Take a peak and see what is going on. Don't forget to use your voltmeter to check for continuity.

Popping noises are almost always from arcing. Check your solder joints around the XLR jack. You might have a bad solder joint on that XLR jack.

EDIT: Are you sure that the cord you were plugging into your jack wasn't supplying 48V phantom voltage to your amp at the time that you plugged that cord in? If that happened, I imagine that could have fried something in your amp...

Edited by Paul Marossy

Are you sure that the cord you were plugging into your jack wasn't supplying 48V phantom voltage to your amp at the time that you plugged that cord in? If that happened, I imagine that could have fried something in your amp...

That's quite possible. I was plugging into a small powered mixer that has phantom power but I don't know if it was on or off at the time. Probably on, though the way it sounds.

I took a look inside and couldn't find any obvious problems, so I'm just gonna take it in to the shop when I can.