Keeping The Neck Flush With Fb?

Ineck.jpgs there a trick to keeping the neck sides flush with the fingerboard. I know it is crucial to do this at the joint pocket area, but with the FB being a 12" radius, how can i accomplish this????

i already have the FB glued to the neck billet.

what do u guys do????

thanks!

matt

Edited by madhattr88

Well when you taper the neck, you should do it with a router so that your sides are flush and square to the fingerboard surface of the neck. How have you done it if that's not the case?

Currently I use a robo sander, but looking for a better way.

I was thinking of using my router table, and use the guide bearing against the FB.

But the FB radius creates a rocking affect

Well when you taper the neck, you should do it with a router so that your sides are flush and square to the fingerboard surface of the neck. How have you done it if that's not the case?

Currently I use a robo sander, but looking for a better way.

I was thinking of using my router table, and use the guide bearing against the FB.

But the FB radius creates a rocking affect

any idea how to keep the FB/neck combo flat on the router table so i can make a perfect perpendicular cut?

any idea how to keep the FB/neck combo flat on the router table so i can make a perfect perpendicular cut?

Next time... perhaps route the taper before radiusing the board.

This time... maybe flip the neck over? Is there any flat surface left? Well, I suppose that won't work if it's an angled head.

Consider using a hand-held router with a bearing bit. Instead of riding it on the radiused fingerboard, set up two rails on either side of the neck, slightly higher than the middle of the fingerboard.

This time... maybe flip the neck over? Is there any flat surface left? Well, I suppose that won't work if it's an angled head.

Consider using a hand-held router with a bearing bit. Instead of riding it on the radiused fingerboard, set up two rails on either side of the neck, slightly higher than the middle of the fingerboard.

good idea, but there has to be an easier way.....no?

good idea, but there has to be an easier way.....no?

Your going to spend longer worrying about an easier way to do it then taking 10 minutes to set up some rails it's really not that hard.

Your going to spend longer worrying about an easier way to do it then taking 10 minutes to set up some rails it's really not that hard.

Agreed, that's the easiest way at this point. All you have to do is:

1) secure the neck, level relative to the workbench

2) establish a level plane above the neck on which the router can ride

3) leave room on either side of the neck so the bit can do its work