Grounded

mhall

Hello all,

I'm building my first guitar and consulting the Hiscock and Koch books. When grounding the bridge, they both say to drill from the control cavity to the spring cavity and solder the ground to the spring claw. Unfortunately, I am using a fixed bridge with no posts, just five anchoring screws. Any suggestions for how best to ground this type. Thanks.

Matt

Lexington, KY

Haha... When I first read the title I thought you were some kid grounded from making guitars because you did something bad...

Anyway, if it's string through, I'd just drill from one of the ferrule holes and solder the grounding wire to a ferrule before you put it in. That's how I did it, and it worked just fine.

If it's not string through, I'm not sure the proper way to do it, but if nothing else, you could just drill a hole connecting the control cavity to the space under the bridge, then solder the ground wire to the bottom of the bridge before you mount it.

Best of luck! :D

On bridges like this (bass bridges, non-string through stuff) drill a hole from the control cavity to where the center of the bridge will rest against the body. The ground wire is simply sandwiched between the bridge and the body. Just make sure strip about an inch of coating off the wire so bare wire meets bare bridge under there.

Haha... When I first read the title I thought you were some kid grounded from making guitars because you did something bad...

I'm willing to bet money that half the PG members came here because of exactly that. Well, maybe a whole bunch of 'em are those : " My Mom won't buy me a guitar, but she will buy me a Dremel, so walk me though a scratch build with a Dremel" .

I'm willing to bet money that half the PG members came here because of exactly that. Well, maybe a whole bunch of 'em are those : " My Mom won't buy me a guitar, but she will buy me a Dremel, so walk me though a scratch build with a Dremel" .

How did you know that's why I'm on here?