help lil' snorkie post section

Snork

before you start working on the actual body, make a template. having a good template makes things a lot easier. plus, you'll make most of the serious mistakes with the template and won't have to buy another truckload of wood.

have you considered neck-through? I'm thinking a neck-through would be easier to plan than a separate neck and body.

trying to picture what you're after... a JEM with a more strat-like shape, set neck and carved top. basically a 24-fret strat with a carved top and a monkey-grip? how about doing a kisekae JEM and modify it in photoshop (or whatever imaging software you have) to resemble what you're going for? I think it would look better without a pickguard (strats get away with it because they look naked without the pickguard), but that's all up to you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh.......... i like the foo fighters i just happened to know that acrylic is an extremely sound dampening material. www.omegamp.com www.xoxideforums.com i've worked with it for over 4 years now. completed many projects with it. I've used that propierty of it for the better sometimes but i just cannot see HOW you could get a decent sound from an all acrylic body. :D

Wait a minute... you're saying that 4 years of experience using acrylics in computer case mods somehow translates to knowing how acrylics will sound as a guitar? How many acrylic bodied GUITARS have you built? How many acrylic bodied GUITARS have you played?

I seem to recall reading about computer cases made from wood... and how good a sound dampening material it is.

? sau what? computer cases are VERY rarely made from wood. and i was talking about special fan things called fan shims usually made from a completly non resonant material such as acrylic. i made a computer speaker housing a tweet a sub and 2 mid speakers. all were attached through the acrylic to stealth the wires and lead to the grounding metal. however the sound SUCKED. The tones were mixed, but it looked cool. EVERYTHING seeped into eachother and there was a very teeny sound. No bass what soever dispite the subwoofer. total crap for tonal exchange

wood is a goodsound dampening material...i would think reflection of sound(as in a speaker box or dampening)would be a different thing from tone as a guitar....but even if acrylic is completely non resonant,i think all you would hear would be the strings themselves,which still would not be muddy.i think muddiness comes from the vibrations of the strings being translated through a material...if it doesn't translate the vibrations,then all you hear is string....see what i mean?

bc rich made a line of acrylic guitars,did they not...?i heard that they were very clear and bright.

Yes I think they have and I'm sure they sound fine. I just find it strange that Snork keeps saying "From my experience using acrylic in computers, I conclude that all guitars made from it are muddy" instead of "From all the acrylic guitars that I've played or built, I conclude that they are muddy."

ok regarding the comment about acrylic being heavy. NO WAY DUDE. compared to wood acrylic is a feather. I still say acrylic is one raunchy tone

Hmm... you really should check your facts before posting. Clear acrylic has a specific gravity of 1.19 meaning it'd sink in water... and wood generally floats.