Found A Cnc Machine Woohooo ^^

Hello there. I am kinda new to this, but I am really keen on building my own guitar. Done lots of research and ebooks and videos and stuff, now that is left is to start work :D I have a wood question, but that for later because I am still researching the market (the only wood thats on sale is plywood and pine...)

Now, a friend of mine has a CNC machine at his basement... I was thinking I could do the whole body with it, but from what he's told me, I don't think that will be possible cuz the body will be to big... I don't know yet so don't flame me. I have no idea how CNC machines work :D. So I was thinking of making some templates from plywood for the body shape and and pickup holes and stuff. But that is where the usefulness ends, or is it? What other advice can you give me so I can maximize it's use?

I was thinking of maybe... doing the fretboard fret slots on it... just gonna need to find the needed stuff for it. What about the shape of the neck, the radius of the fretboard, angle of the neck pocket? Really, what are the limitations and should I do on the CNC?

Speaking of templates, do you think buying VIP membership is worth it for the templates and stuff, I have no idea where to find them? And how much is it anyway and where do you get it B)

Hope it's not too mind boggling for you B)

best regards

well the thing is I am going to have a lot of problems with where to make the frets, the precise stuff. I have found a machine where you just saw the slots, but its 150 euro :/ and it's for only one scale. So I was wondering, can't the cnc do the precise stuff like the fret slots in some way?

well the thing is I am going to have a lot of problems with where to make the frets, the precise stuff. I have found a machine where you just saw the slots, but its 150 euro :/ and it's for only one scale. So I was wondering, can't the cnc do the precise stuff like the fret slots in some way?

The issue is how many far does the bed for the mill travel. I am assuming its a mill and not a router CNC. If it does travel long enough to cut all your frets in one shot the answer is yes. However you have to find a very small milling bit and worry about the cutting speed (movement not rotation) so you dont snap off the cutting shaft the bit.

Honestly for one guitar it would be easier to buy a fingerboard alread slotted. The cost different between the time to program the CNC and the cost if the bit would make it cheaper to buy a pre slotted fingerboard. Or have a local builder slot it for you.

Edited by Woodenspoke

I am not sure how easy it will even be to find a mill bit that fine. You are talking a high precision bit that will probably cost as much as at least a neck. And that is if you don't snap that single one.

Also find out how feasible it will be to put a piece of wood in there to get it machined. How much time will they or you be will to put into cleaning it out if it has been used for metal working. If they are using coolant, that stuff will be all over everything and will make finishing the guitar a nightmare. The machine basically needs to get power washed with degreaser to get that stuff out off all of the nooks and crannies, and to get all of the metal chips out.