Neck joint mods

keithb

I've ordered a Saga strat kit, so it's time to start messing things up :D

I find that standard neck joints really get in my way. I don't think I'm ambitious enough to try to convert it to a "all-access" style joint (unless you guys tell me othwerwise). Has anyone tried thinning/angling the heel?

Along with converting to a fixed bridge and partially hollowing the body, this should provide MORE than enough learning experience for my first project.

hi keith

yeah dude of course you can do it. Ed Roman does it as a Strat mod and also does it to his Pearlcaster series.

i don't think you should hollow your guitar though. i think you should research that a little more. i believe that Bear did this to a Squire, the project proved very successful. i think you should talk to him about doing such an operation.

check out this tutorial created by Brian: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/heal.htm

it is basically what you want. indeed it still remains the same as a strat bolt on heel, but it is thinner.

i would only attempt to do an all access neck joint [present on the newer Ibanez RG and S series] to a strat body if the bolt on holes on the heel weren't drilled yet. but if you you really want that, i think you should get a cad file of an RG body and look at the dimensions to get an idea of what to do. if the holes have already been drilled, i think it would not interfere with the tone if you just glued dowels in the holes of the drilled holes.

what ever your decision becomes, good luck in your project. if you have further questions, you know where to go. :D

Page.

I don't plan on trying an all-access joint (especially on my first project).

I also don't plan on hollowing the entire guitar like Bear did. I just want to route a cavity in the top half of the guitar and a bit behind the bridge (like I've seen in an X-ray of a PRS somewhere on this forum) to lighten things up and (if I'm lucky) provide a bit more interesting sound. This way I'll also get to have one of those nifty-looking f-holes :D

did you check out the link: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/heal.htm

seriously, what's the point of hollowing a strat - all that for an f hole? it isn't made of mahogany so it isn't exactly heavy. plus for what you want to do, it's not going to sound anymore interesting - unless you did what bear did.

btw: :D you are a really rude person. i try to ****ing help you and you give me ****ing attitude.

:D well sorry for being a real ****ing prick to you. i haven't had a good week at all. [car accident last week, ****ed up neck and back now - it might be permenant too.] i have been really touchy with everything. by what you wrote, it just looked as you didn't appreciate the suggestion i had offered to you. and the "i don't plan" bit seemed like attitude because my little ****ing smart ass brother always says that to me. that's what i hate about the internet, you talk to someone and the write something down, and the person reading it can easily take it for something else. [like what has happened in this case] that's why they have emoticons i guess. B) sorry dude.

Page.