Interesting Article About Cable Length And Tone

I can't read it at work.

There was an article in one of my guitar mags recently about scale length. I don't remember exactly how it went, but basically the same thickness of string (wire) will sound differently on a short scale than it will on a longer one.

Then consider playing an F on the 1st string/1st fret, then play an F on the 2nd string/6th fret, 3rd string/11th fret, etc. The pitch is the same, but they sound different.

So yes, wire thickness directly effects tone. The thicker the string, the "meatier" the tone, and the thinner the string, the "brighter" the tone.

its cables not strings.... and both definately affect tone

longer leads will lose treble similar to rolling off your tone... i think i have seen some companies make cables with in built boosters to stop this

Actually i quite like curly leads as well for a really pleasant treble roll off

its cables not strings.... and both definately affect tone

Well, I DID say that I couldn't read it at work. :D

For some reason, I had a completely different picture of cabling in my head - thick wires like on bridge supports and whatnot. given the context of this board, there's NO reason to have gone there. I must be more tired than I thought.

longer leads will lose treble similar to rolling off your tone... i think i have seen some companies make cables with in built boosters to stop this

yep, and most ive seen use similar buffers to those you find in "nasty tone sucking non true bypass pedals" but in a cable its pure mojo :D

I thought it was Bull when the magazines do a Input cable review, and tell you which ones "Sound" better then the others. A cable is a cable right? I guess it does make a diff. I still think it's very small.

However, my "twinkle twinkle", and "mary had a little lamb" and "frosty" concert for the 4 year olds probably won't be affected by my 10 dollar cheap-o cable. I don't think they will complain any. If so, I'll send them to my "roadie" to complain or my "stage manager".

=)

-J

When you say Smooshed.. Do you mean it drops the Highest tones because it doesn't pass them, or does it do something else to the sound? Is it the length of the cable, which increases the impedance, or is it the quality of the wire?

This is all academic for me, but interesting. If all of this is true, then the quality of your solder joints could make a difference in tone too I would guess.

-John

i wouldnt worry about that john... the only time i worry about solder joins is when i am buying the solder... lead stuff is a lot easier to work with also getting harder to find over here... tonally i dont think many people would hear a difference. your solder joints obviously need to be of a certain standard but beyond being 'functional' i wouldnt stress