Epoxy For A Neck Finish?

dare i?

no epoxy makes a terrible finsih; it doesnt buff to a sheen and it feels very sticky to the touch, i remember another forum member who did an epoxy finish on a guitar and if i remember correctly he said he was refinishing it

As an undercoat, it is great. Gives the body that extra hardness to protect against dents. Put a coat of KTM-9 or some other clearcoat over it. :D

It sucks in my experience..

...mainly because it can be A TON of work to level, depending on what kind of epoxy you use.

I've done a few bass fingerboards now with Mirror Coat - I have been toying with the idea of finishing a whole body with it. It is very hard, and it actually levels reasonably well and will buff out to a glassy gloss. If you want a more satin feel, just stop at 1000 grit and you'll be good.

Beware that if you use successive coats and sand through the top coat, you will have witness lines when you buff out - just like polyurethane.

The trick for a neck will be to #1 avoid getting it on the fretboard, and #2 because it will want to flow out/down the sides of the neck, the finish will be thinnest right on the back of the neck and thickest right at the edges of the fretboard (if you apply with the fretboard face-down) - the opposite if you apply and then flip it over face-up. Because of the highly curved surface, it will be impossible to get a uniform thickness everywhere - it is much more runny than the "epxoy" you get from the hardware store (which should NEVER be used for a finish).

I tested a little mirrorcoat yesterday in preparation for my upcoming finish. If you follow the directions on the bottle, I think you'd be fine. I plan to hang the entire guitar vertically for finishing. I also plan to use one very thin coat as a base, then sand off the bubbles and apply a second coat about 30mils thick (they say that is the minimum thickness required for self leveling). I doubt you could sand through 1/32" of epoxy.

I tested a little mirrorcoat yesterday in preparation for my upcoming finish. If you follow the directions on the bottle, I think you'd be fine. I plan to hang the entire guitar vertically for finishing. I also plan to use one very thin coat as a base, then sand off the bubbles and apply a second coat about 30mils thick (they say that is the minimum thickness required for self leveling). I doubt you could sand through 1/32" of epoxy.

I'll take that bet :D. I am giving ZPoxy a try right now and it could... viably... be placed on the neck, but would have to be done in small sections and sanded together because as erik says, the stuff gets runny quick.

The epoxy takes a while to cure..... it finally passed the fingernail test just last night.

Also, the mirrorcoat was supposed to be self-leveling, and I hoped to take advantage of that. But the bottle says it should be at least 1/16" of an inch thick to work properly..... odd, as it said 1/32" online... I'm not sure I want a finish that is a whole 1/32" of an inch thick anyway, so I might end up just leveling with sandpaper and buffing it out. But this stuff is beautiful.

I think the neck could be done all at once, especially if you don't put it on thick.... you'd just have to brush out the runs on the side of the neck as it's drying. you may not even have to level and buff it because in my tests, it seemed to level even with a thin coat on vertical surfaces.