How To Connect Wiring I've Never Seen

jlarremore

I've got another post going on this project related to finishing, but I needed to know about the wiring of an Ibanez. I've never worked with one, but I'm not that concerned.

One thing I'm not sure of re-connecting is these funny circle connectors. They look like grounds, but I'm not sure where I need to connect them to. Sorry the picture quality is so poor, but you can see these silver circles that look like the things you use to repair holes in notebook paper. There are 3 of them and they seem to connect to black ground (earth) wires. A couple connect to green and black or red and black or red and bare.

What the heck to I connect these circles to? The body? The posts of the pots? The posts of the toggles?

circle.jpg

Jef

Do you not recall where you 'disconnected' them from...although, it looks like you are just putting back the original wiring here.

Is there a any shielding?

What I suspect is going on is a star ground...all the grounds coming back to one point...and that point may well be the mini toggle switch there...the grounded circles grounding the switch and any shielding and perhaps providing a spacer so that the switch doesn't stick out too far from the front of the body...as a guess!

The pots appear to be grounded already, but they may be used for a similar effect. The ground wires are likely to come from a pickup shielding wire and the bridge ground...things like that I assume.

hope that helps...pete

ps...what is the toggle switch for?

Do you not recall where you 'disconnected' them from...although, it looks like you are just putting back the original wiring here.

Is there a any shielding?

What I suspect is going on is a star ground...all the grounds coming back to one point...and that point may well be the mini toggle switch there...the grounded circles grounding the switch and any shielding and perhaps providing a spacer so that the switch doesn't stick out too far from the front of the body...as a guess!

The pots appear to be grounded already, but they may be used for a similar effect. The ground wires are likely to come from a pickup shielding wire and the bridge ground...things like that I assume.

hope that helps...pete

ps...what is the toggle switch for?

Thanks Pete.

I didn't take it apart and the guy who did is in Germany now so I have no idea what it originally looked like.

There is one similar connection from the bridge, underneath a hum its smaller but it's connected to the body.

There are three of these circle connections, 2 pots and 3 toggles. When each component is placed back in what I believe to be the correct holes, the three circle connections appear to be close enough to connect to each other, but I don't see a screw or screw hole to connect them to. Is it possible they connect to the top of a pot or to the top of toggle? And now I have a free white wire.

See the attached image to get a better idea.

slide1.jpg

This is what I am saying...all the circles probably go under a...or under each toggle...

Unfortunately it is impossible to work out what is going on in there from the pics.

You need to work out where the white wire is coming from...I suspect it is a hot wire from one of the pickups and might be going to a toggle switch...may need lengthening even. If it is coming from a the volume pot...it might be to the output jack.

The best thing is to try and draw out the entire existing wiring...or, potentially...if you identify the guitar there may be a diagram about. Either way, you will need to work out where the white wire is coming from.

What happens when you plug it in? If no strings...you can tap the coils with a screw driver to see which are activated in which switch combination...you may be able to work out what the missing wire controls and maybe see which toggle it has broken off of...