Where To Buy Custom Thicknessed Wood?

I'm planning my first guitar build, and I want the body to consist of 1 1/4" mahogany (1 or 2 piece) and a 1/2" wenge top (1 piece) with a light-colored veneer in between. I've scoured the net and eBay, but I can't seem to find someone who can supply me with those dimensions (everyone has 1 3/4" mahogany bodies and 1/4" wenge tops). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Best bet is to ask whomever you're buying it from, if they can thickness it for you.

If not, be really nice to the guys at a local cabinet shop (I think the going rate is a large pizza and a six pack) and see if they'll thickness it for you.

Edit: Or if you're near Louisville, bring it on by and I'll do it for you...

Edited by Rick500

I had similar problems when I first started woodworking until I realized that lumber vendors often measure by quarters - so instead of marking a piece as 1 1/4" thick, they mark it is 5/4 lumber.

My local lumber merchant sells most of their "exotics", (including wenge) in 1/2" thick slabs. Are there any local wood places by you? If so, give them a call. I like dealing locally - I can't always get those super nice figured maple pieces, but I save a lot of money on shipping. Many places will be willing to thickness pieces for a small price as well. I was surprised how much cool wood was available local to me - perhaps you'll be as lucky too.

If your building a guitar you have a router right? You can thickness very easily with it. Set up 2 sticks of wood thicker than the wood to be thicknessed on the sides, doublestick tape a longer piece of wood to your router base and rout till it's the right thickness. I do this with smaller things when I have to remove a lot of wood (hedadstocks, backplates, truss rod covers) sice it's faster and easier than my planer.

Best bet is to ask whomever you're buying it from, if they can thickness it for you.

If not, be really nice to the guys at a local cabinet shop (I think the going rate is a large pizza and a six pack) and see if they'll thickness it for you.

Edit: Or if you're near Louisville, bring it on by and I'll do it for you...

that is the going rate, or just a 12 pack even. Personally I don't drink anymore so a couple of pizza's would do it.

Edited by nuge67