Installing String Thru/tune-0-matic On A Rhoads

Hey guys

noob here, first post ever! I currently got a beater hondo V rhoads copy with a kahler flyer on it. I'm not too fond of the kahler and have decided to get'er outta there. I don't want to route and install a floyd rose (the OFR will cost more than the guitar!!!). So I'm thinking of simply filling the cavity and installing a string thru/tune-0-matic setup. My only concern is, how do I know where to drill the holes for the string thru fin tailpiece and where to drill the holes for the tune-0-matic? I've been searching for a while to find exact methods and measurements but haven't been able to so far! Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hey guys

noob here, first post ever! I currently got a beater hondo V rhoads copy with a kahler flyer on it. I'm not too fond of the kahler and have decided to get'er outta there. I don't want to route and install a floyd rose (the OFR will cost more than the guitar!!!). So I'm thinking of simply filling the cavity and installing a string thru/tune-0-matic setup. My only concern is, how do I know where to drill the holes for the string thru fin tailpiece and where to drill the holes for the tune-0-matic? I've been searching for a while to find exact methods and measurements but haven't been able to so far! Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

First you have to know your scale length. Measure from the breaking edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret, and double it.

Then go here and enter in the appropriate information, and it'll tell you what you need to know.

It will probably need a neck angle if it doesn't already have one. Or else it will need a recessed cavity for the bridge. Kahler's normally sit high enough that they need a neck angle, but if I remember correctly, the Flyer is their version of a Floyd Rose, which probably won't have an angle.