Burl Maple Tele

WezV

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I like, the modern twist on a tele is awesome in my opinion :D

Only thing I'd change about it, is the back of the body, where you've modified the neck pocket to make it easier access, I'd have reshaped it a bit to blend the curve between the body above it and the heel portion beneath it - at the moment it just looks a little too much like it's still a "reshaped square section" rather that flowing as part of the body shape.

Really really nice burl though, did you get that from Fraser Valley in Canada?

i was going to do a full roundover on the heel like i normally do- but stopped at this stage... i think it works well with the shape and am very happy with it. you know, you dont actually have to remove much from a fender heel to make it a lot more comfortable... less than you would think

the top was fraser valley, good price iirc

Wez -

Can you describe your way of filling incursions and then the way you did that clouded up? I've started using West Systems for a number of things and this would be good info.

i think i did this using the slow setting stuff, i got impatient and messed with it. If you pour it in and leave it it dries clear just fine, if you messwith it once its started setting it doesnt. the reason i probably messed with it is because bubbles appear, i guess this was because i poured it in a little quick then didnt check on it till it was too late. If you drop it in slowly to fill the void bubbles will be less of an issue.

I learned from some old wood codger many years ago that when dealing with 2-part epoxy:

1. Mix it in a glass jar

2. As you're mixing it together, hold a hairdryer underneath the glass jar to substantially heat it up as you're mixing it

(not boiling, but very warm, almost hot)

This does a few things: It thins it out, it helps it set up a little quicker, and it helps air bubbles escape easier and faster.

It doesn't stop air bubbles alltogether, but it does help the situation, and if you're pouring it into bark inclusions, it goes in much easier, more like soda than syrup.

Try it, it works! :D

• 1 month later...

just got this back from mike

the colour changes a bit, its got a hint of teal/turquoise in natural light but goes much bluer in artificial light. i like it

fin5.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin2-1.jpg

i reckon some nice shiny chrome knobs will look good on it. still not sure if i want to go for plain black or zebra pickups ???

now i must get that neck finished :D

My vote:

PU's should be chrome-covered or black. Cream is really pushing against the color scheme....

Agree. The cream pickups don't do anything for the body.

Interesting to see a burl that has been coloured can't say I'm overly keen on it myself - I think burl is interesting enough not to need colours.

Although it'll be interesting to see it all finished. :D

I am still thinking zebra. the cream seemed to lift the colour but double cream does look too much

the chrome hardware will all be satin but i havnt done it all yet. that means satin/brushed chrome pickups are out because i am using pickups i have here. either a black BKP emerald or zebra custom BKP coldsweat set.

Interesting to see a burl that has been coloured can't say I'm overly keen on it myself - I think burl is interesting enough not to need colours.

sure it is, so is quilt and flame. It didn't need colour - but i wanted colour!!