Benchtop Jointer Purchase Advice

madhattr88

I have a Tradesman benchtop jointer. Let's just say it's not a good jointer at all!

...and my hand plane skills are just as bad.

So i want to purchase a benchtop jointer (space issues)

Just for jointing body glue edges and neck/fingerboard surfaces.

What have u guys tried and use???

I have a budget of $250

Thanks!

Edited by madhattr88

I have a Tradesman benchtop jointer. Let's just say it's not a good jointer at all!

...and my hand plane skills are just as bad.

So i want to purchase a benchtop jointer (space issues)

Just for jointing body glue edges and neck/fingerboard surfaces.

What have u guys tried and use???

I have a budget of $250

Thanks!

Don't do it. You will only be dissapointed with a benchtop jointer, I guarantee it as you already have been with the one you have now. Sell it, save up and get something nice.

I have a delta 6" jointer I use for fingerboards and body edges only...and it works great....you just have to make sure to push the material over it slowly and with even pressure...like anything else it is NOT idiot-proof...

But maybe the one you have now needs some TLC...new blades and such..

I have a delta 6" jointer I use for fingerboards and body edges only...and it works great....you just have to make sure to push the material over it slowly and with even pressure...like anything else it is NOT idiot-proof...

What do u use for the neck?

Well it's very strange. I reset and checked every angle and blade height, but no matter what I do I can't get a level cut (length and width). It has me totally baffled!

Well it's very strange. I reset and checked every angle and blade height, but no matter what I do I can't get a level cut (length and width). It has me totally baffled!

Could be your technique?

While benchtop tools are not ideal- I have had good results with the sears craftsman jointer. I had read about it on Kathy Matushita's (amaetuer luthier's)site I think- and she mentioned using it on neck blanks. I had limited tool budget after selling everything I owned to get the house I am in now- and was dying to get something- thought i would give it a shot and return it if it didnt cut the mustard. It is alot studier than the delta benchtop, I had read different review about the delta- which I was leaning towards-but after reading up on the craftsman-I went for it- its very solid- and I have not had any complaints (other than the dust port is full 4"- so you cant easily attach another four inch vacuum tube or other with out an adapter of some sort (I just use duct tape)

Yes- the bed on it (or any benchtop jointer) is short- and you have to watch something like a neck thru neck blank- but I have had great luck with it. It works great on joining tops, and

I know I paid about $200 even on sale-(2 years ago) this link shows above your limit- but perhaps you can find on sale sometime. just my $.02

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ers+%26+Shapers

+1 on Craigslist. People sell perfectly good tools for nothing because they do not know how to tune them or they are done with the project they were purchased for. I bought my Jet 10-20 Drum Sander for 300.00 and it is brand new.

I have a Delta 6" from Lowe's. It is nice until you use it against figured wood or the blades get dull. So for rough stuff it is great but figured wood tears out and you will end up joining it by hand anyway. Learn how to sharpen blades and when to use it and when to use your hand planes.

Tools are only as good as the tuning you give them. I have a Central Machines 14" bandsaw that cuts great. I have spent several hours tuning it and keep sharp blades on it and it is great. My hand planes suck. But it is my fault because when I spend time sharpening and setting them up they work great.

My radial arm saw is a 1972 Craftsman 12" and it cuts great. But I spent several hours setting it up and bought a nice Freud blade for it.

Learning to work with hand tools is fun and less dangerous than power tools.

Good luck!

if you are only going to do 2" inch or less edges another thought might be to use a router table. So if you have a router you might consider a table and plate. with a good 1/2"d x 3" straight bit and fence.

Just another approach not mentioned. :D

MK

well u guys have given me tons of useful info. i really appreciate it!

thank you so much!

i'm going to try and adjust the blade height again tonight. last chance

Edited by madhattr88

if you are only going to do 2" inch or less edges another thought might be to use a router table. So if you have a router you might consider a table and plate. with a good 1/2"d x 3" straight bit and fence.

Just another approach not mentioned. :D

MK

well u guys have given me tons of useful info. i really appreciate it!

thank you so much!

i'm going to try and adjust the blade height again tonight. last chance

well I took everyone advice and found an old craftsman 5" jointer on craigslist for $60.

It's not a bench top, but it's not really large either

Came with a stand. I have to clean it up a little, but so far it works great

Has fence adjustments for the outfeed AND infeed tables