Minwax Aerosol Lacquer

Sami Ghouri

Hey there!

I am going through the dreads of clearcoating white guitars with Minwax Polycryllic (waterbase) clear which dries very clear but is a serious ho to work with, sprays like a foam, and stays gummy for weeks and weeks.....

i was at ACE ther other day and i stumbled across Minwax Aerosol Lacquer, doesn't say what the substance is (urethane, nitro, acryllic, etc) but it says "clear".... the only way i could test on spot was get the three cans:polycryllic, polyurethane and the lacquer and spray on a white paper, polyurethane failed the test as soon as it hit the paper and turned it ugly yellow, polycryllic turned it white (but i've already tested it and i know it dries clear) BUT the lacquer WAS AS CLEAR AS WATER! :D

i don't wanna put my hopes up, finish a white guitar with it and end up sanding it (which is what i did when i used polyu) so before i do something stupid, anyone tried it? what are the pros and cons? and what exactly is it?

thanks a load you guys

Sami

Hey there!

I am going through the dreads of clearcoating white guitars with Minwax Polycryllic (waterbase) clear which dries very clear but is a serious ho to work with, sprays like a foam, and stays gummy for weeks and weeks.....

i was at ACE ther other day and i stumbled across Minwax Aerosol Lacquer, doesn't say what the substance is (urethane, nitro, acryllic, etc) but it says "clear".... the only way i could test on spot was get the three cans:polycryllic, polyurethane and the lacquer and spray on a white paper, polyurethane failed the test as soon as it hit the paper and turned it ugly yellow, polycryllic turned it white (but i've already tested it and i know it dries clear) BUT the lacquer WAS AS CLEAR AS WATER! :D

i don't wanna put my hopes up, finish a white guitar with it and end up sanding it (which is what i did when i used polyu) so before i do something stupid, anyone tried it? what are the pros and cons? and what exactly is it?

tried google???

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/73760...ocellulose.html

thanks a load you guys

Sami

I was wondering about clear coat on a white surface as well. I believe that any nitro lacquer may look clear when it is new but that they will all "amber" or shift to yellow with varying amounts over time. I searched in response to your specific inquiry and also found the link above. The Minwax appears to be nitro. I think any solvent based clear will have this issue.

I go to a public wood shop and a while back a guy brought in some of the new water based lacquer. I remember the instructor dismissing it as having a blue tone. When I started the white project (I go slow) I searched for this stuff, but now they say that it is "improved with an subtle amber color". I suspect that they tinted it. If nothing else comes up, I will be using water based poly like this:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70 (Note the FAQ at the bottom)

KTM-9 "used" to have a problem with a slight bluish tint while curing - they have fixed this. I just used it and it is crystal clear - time will tell how long it stays that way, but amazing bright whites in the background on this guitar. Only problem is, if memory serves correct, Sami doesn't have much in the lines of spraying equipment so you can brush it or Preval it just fine.

KTM-9 "used" to have a problem with a slight bluish tint while curing - they have fixed this. I just used it and it is crystal clear - time will tell how long it stays that way, but amazing bright whites in the background on this guitar. Only problem is, if memory serves correct, Sami doesn't have much in the lines of spraying equipment so you can brush it or Preval it just fine.

yeah! that's true. but i'm gonna invest in some spraying equipment sometime soon as i'm really fed up with rattlecans.

However I got a BIT better with the minwax polycryllic spray and now i know how to spray without making it too thin or too thick.... just the right amount to get minimal orange peel and at the same time not a sandpaper feel either!

i'm surprised you actually remember that stuff :D

anyway thanks guys.... all i needed to know was if it was a nitro finish (which i guessed coz it needed no sanding between coats, the previous coat will be dissolved by the new one) and all those hints.... i just never used nitro before (and never really was sure if a guitar was finished with nitro either) coz i'm a n00b thataway..... and there isn't much choice when it comes to guitar finishes in this country. People don't really care about these things as they simply don't have the time to work on such a hobby (traffic is a serious killer, we spend at least 5 hours on the roads daily) and they don't care about REfinishing as they just throw away the old and buy new stuff :D

thanks a lot guys, that did help! I'll probably use it when i refinish my LP.

Cheers,

Sami