Unfinished Lp Kit

Does anyone know who sells these kits? I heard they are located in Washington state. If so, send me a PM. I am very much interested in buying quite a few of them.

I'd be interesed too. Looks like a nice way to get into building a LP for the first time.

Edited by guitar2005

I would not expect a basswood kit with a maple veneer to sound anything like a proper LP.

If you're going to play metal and have it so distorted you can't get the wood tone to come through anyway, what's it matter? I don't know what rjhalsey wants plays or anything. I'm just sayin.

In any event, a kit of any reasonable quality is a great way to learn some of the basics of guitar building and finishing before going into the deep end of the pool. Ramp up slowly and the learning curve is less painful.

If you're going to play metal and have it so distorted you can't get the wood tone to come through anyway, what's it matter?

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.Why do people who know nothing of metal "tone" insist they do?

The kit pictured by rjhalsey appears to be mahogany ...I assume that he may want to know the difference...but mostly I wish you guys would stop perpetuating the "so distorted you can't hear tone" stereotype...it makes you sound like a fool to those of us that know better. :D

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were capable of hearing things through my ears. :D

So obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. See, the way I hear some of the harder metal guitars, it's all washed out by the overdone distortion.

Believe it or not, you can be as condescending as you want, I'll still have my opinions, and it's OK if they differ from yours. I have all the respect in the world for you, but please don't imply that either I don't know what I hear or that I can't have my own opinion. :D

I was able to renegotiate a deal on these kits. They have mahogany bodies, mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard. I ordered 3 of them to verify quality. I will report back as soon as I receive them. What I plan on doing is add quality hardware, electronics, with Tonerider pickups to these kits. Does it sound like a plan?

I'd say wait and see what the quality of it all is before buying anything. Don't hold your breath on it all being worth keeping, but some of it may be OK. I'd give the pups a whirl as well. Sometimes a cheap pup (Atrec/GFS) can sound OK. If they don't sound any good, oh well, nothing lost.

Well, now that we are talking about LP´s made from parts I have seen some that I would like an opinion on...Check this out and tell me what you think of these guitars.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but that top looks like it might be ply. Whatever the top is, I personally don't like it having that space under the arch.

On a better note, I've bought parts from that seller before. He's really a great seller to do business with. If you asked him about whatever concerns you might have, I'm confident he'd be 100% honest with you.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were capable of hearing things through my ears. :D

So obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. See, the way I hear some of the harder metal guitars, it's all washed out by the overdone distortion.

Believe it or not, you can be as condescending as you want, I'll still have my opinions, and it's OK if they differ from yours. I have all the respect in the world for you, but please don't imply that either I don't know what I hear or that I can't have my own opinion. :D

As much as I think that wes can be condenscending, metal tones are affected by the guitar and the way its built, pickup selection and wood types.

I've been playing metal for too long (I don't want to date myself here... LOL!) and I can hear the difference between Maiden, Priest, Rhoads, Iommi, Metallica, Megadeth, System of a down, Killswitch Engage, Dokken, and the list goes on and on....

Maybe its just a question of liking/disliking a certain style. To some, all rock & roll sounds the same. To some, all opera sounds the same.

I was able to renegotiate a deal on these kits. They have mahogany bodies, mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard. I ordered 3 of them to verify quality. I will report back as soon as I receive them. What I plan on doing is add quality hardware, electronics, with Tonerider pickups to these kits. Does it sound like a plan?

So where did you order them?

As much as I think that wes can be condenscending, metal tones are affected by the guitar and the way its built, pickup selection and wood types.

I've been playing metal for too long (I don't want to date myself here... LOL!) and I can hear the difference between Maiden, Priest, Rhoads, Iommi, Metallica, Megadeth, System of a down, Killswitch Engage, Dokken, and the list goes on and on....

Maybe its just a question of liking/disliking a certain style. To some, all rock & roll sounds the same. To some, all opera sounds the same.

And I was talking about the harder edge stuff. With the exception of System of a down & Killswitch Engage, all of the bands you mentioned were in the era of Hair Metal. Most of that genre could be had with a Boss DS-1, which will still allow a LOT of the guitar to come through. Metallica & Anthrax, for example, are more in the category I'm talking about. A lot of the screamo bands are as well. Crank the distortion of the HM-1 and scoop it all out and there goes the tone.

I'll admit fault in that I wasn't as specific as maybe I should have been.

And Randy Rhoads had a horrible guitar sound. Great player, bad sound.

So where did you order them?

From bulldogguitarbodies from Ebay.

Ahhh! I had seen those! I couldn´t remember from that pic...Let´s see what you get...Even if it´s not a great paul, maybe it can amount to a nice guitar.

I just noticed...you don´t get any hardware with it...Is it still a fair price? I calculated some quality hardware, plus shipping for everything and it comes very close to an Epiphone.

The difference is that mine will be finished in nitro and not poly. :D

I referred to the price for the kit, in my case...shipping is higher for Mexico, hehe. I´m sure yours would be finished nicely.

It is late sorry. Everyone who has bought one of the Bulldog kits raves about them. I will add quality hardware to them and resale them as a higher end kit.

And I was talking about the harder edge stuff. With the exception of System of a down & Killswitch Engage, all of the bands you mentioned were in the era of Hair Metal.

Arghghghg! Blasphemy! Maiden, Priest & Randy... hair metal?

Twisted Sister, Poison, Warrant etc - Those are hair metal.

Most of that genre could be had with a Boss DS-1, which will still allow a LOT of the guitar to come through. Metallica & Anthrax, for example, are more in the category I'm talking about. A lot of the screamo bands are as well. Crank the distortion of the HM-1 and scoop it all out and there goes the tone.

I'll admit fault in that I wasn't as specific as maybe I should have been.

And Randy Rhoads had a horrible guitar sound. Great player, bad sound.

Randy's tone was'nt too good on the 1st album. I blame the engineer. His tone on the live Tribute album is really good IMO.

As for the mid scoop, gain to the max, emgs and what not, I agree. They all sound pretty much the same to me. I've never really analyzed that sound but its becomes very hard to distinguish the tonal differneces when the mids are scooped, the bass is boosted and the're tons 'o gain.

Arghghghg! Blasphemy! Maiden, Priest & Randy... hair metal?

Twisted Sister, Poison, Warrant etc - Those are hair metal.

I tend to lump them in with hair metal even though they're clearly better.

As for the mid scoop, gain to the max, emgs and what not, I agree. They all sound pretty much the same to me. I've never really analyzed that sound but its becomes very hard to distinguish the tonal differneces when the mids are scooped, the bass is boosted and the're tons 'o gain.

THANK YOU! That's all I was really trying to get at.

There's a certain point that the extreme metal tones are not diseranable between body woods. But a maple or ash body even with EMG's, tons of gain, scooped mids, and full bass will still sound very different than mahogany with those same settings. Really I think Metallica has horrible tone on all of their albums. But I also think EMG's sound like crap. I just picked up a Jackson SL1 that came loaded with EMG's and within 10 minutes knew they sounded bad. After a full weekend of trying to like them and playing with amp setting, the order for SD's was placed.

EMG's sound like crap.

Almost a +1. I don't think they sound like crap, I just don't think they sound like anything. They're too sterile, too... clean. If you're going for the super-distorted/scooped sound, they're fine. Aside from that, I personally don't think they're worth a damn whatsoever.