Nut Files Reviewed

Woodenspoke

My first review was the Stu Mac Precision Dremel Base now lets see about Nut files.

Now I will not claim to be an expert on Nut files but maybe you will find my experiences helpful. I started out with a thin hand saw and standard Miniature or Jewelers file sets long ago. After I switched over I will never go back. I still use the saw and jewelers files but to supplement my Nut files. Over the past few weeks I was looking into a new set of Nut files and found out some interesting things.

Lets start off with my first (old set) nut files from, you guessed it; Stu Mac.

IMG_1071.JPG

As you can see these files are a few years old and unfortunately rust quickly. These have been recently cleaned up.

The Good:These files are very accurate (OK close enough) and are two sided if you do lots of re-frets. They have not dulled at all and seem to cut easy when the Nut is the proper height for the string (not too deep). Relatively inexpensive compared to Groblet files which are the closest thing I have seen. Comes in may sizes.

The Bad: These files are not exactly round bottomed more like a flat D shape. Thin sizes like my .010 is now a pretzel so you need a very light touch (the .013 size has held up well through my abuse). Rusts easy and should be coated with some lube or stored with a rust inhibitor such as the bullfrog sponges. The size is inked on the body and is hard to see plus it is easy removed with cleaner. The red paint is not much of a marker but is good enough to write down the size with a black Sharpe. As you can see any markings that were stamped on my set are long gone. As far as control goes I would rate it a 3 out of 5 especially due to the feeler gage nature of the files. At smaller sizes they are very hard to use. The cutting edge is only along the edge of the file so it has some limitations on use to do slot adjustment at the back of the slot or sides of the slot.

In my search of a Nut file set to add larger Bass sizes to my collection and to eliminate the feeler gage style file which made the smaller sizes so hard to use; I purchased this set on eBay From CKO Guitars for under $80.

IMG_1072.JPG

I have not yet used this set on an instrument. My attempt to etch a size in one file is visible.

The Good: This is a cheap set as compared to most others. It has a tapered edge and plenty of heft so the small sizes are easy to use. Has a usable handle. Six files give you 12 sizes enough for basic bass and guitar work. Sizes stamped on handle. Fast cutting. Easier to adjust the rear and sides of the slot as the file edge extends down the tapered edge

The Bad: Even though the sizes are stamped on the handle you have to guess which side is which. The multi colors are a useless feature as the dark handles make the size stamp hard to read. The profile on the cutting edge of file again is not round, on the larger files you will need to use a round file from a miniature file set to finish up the bottom of the slot. ease of use is probably a 4 out of 5 since the heft is a plus as is the handle and ability to use the side of the file.

Conclusion: Most file sets I have used have some limitation. Without spending a small fortune on a fine set of Jewelers files like the Groblet you have to make compromises. The two sets I have combined will give me more options as would several different other Nut file choices. If I had to pick one set it would be thw CKO Guitars files for price and range of sizes.

Stu Mac sells a set of six Nut files which are the same size and shape as this file set above from CKO Guitars on eBay. The cost $140 vs $80. Is $60 worth it for a clearly labeled handle? I also looked at the notched Feeler Gage nut files also sold on eBay. My Google searches came up with several items of note about this seller and his files. The files do not last over the long haul as they dull quickly so are probably not heat treated. They are not refundable and the seller has shipped product weeks after the sale. All of these reasons raises a red flag. I believe Soap has said some feeler gages can be used as long as you can cut some notches with a dremel and the gages have a round edge. I also looked at the Ibanez Nut files from LMI and did not see any difference with the cheaper set I bought, but honestly I did not have one in hand to compare them.

I've got Stewmac's files similar to the ones you show from CKO. The ones you mention. They're decent - the numbers are estamped easier to read, but are starting to wear away. Again, with two sizes on each file, hard to tell what's what, and they leave a bottom similar to what you've described. I have a feeling they're exactly the same files from the same place and S.M. is just getting the handles dipped and printed a little nicer. I don't think mine have holes in the handles, but they each come with a nice little reusable bag that has a hole in the end. Had I known about the CKO files when I got these, I would have gone that route - I picked mine up a while back. They've lasted well, but I'm hardly a heavy user of them either.

LMI has a set or three files (double sided for six sizes) that do this right - they have one size on each edge, but they're drastically different - instead of .050 and .060 on the same file, you get .050 and .016 on file, and .060 and .020 on another. (Or something like that, I'm making the numbers up) So you can actually look at the file and know which side is which! Haven't tried them, just noticed this nice detail when I was flipping through the catalog.

Anyone have any experience with the Ibanez nut file set that I've seen around various places?

The CKO Guitar purchase was on eBay. I notice he had a range of prices when I bought my set plus auctions, so you may get them for less since I used buy it now. It looks like he has increased his BIN price to $89 probably to push the auction sales. But in the long run it is cheaper than the SM set. From what J Pierce wrote it does sound like the same set of nut files without the fancy printed handle.

The files came in sealed clear plastic wrappers but I tossed them as they were thin and tight. I thought the SM files also had a hole not that I see any reason you wold need one.

Here is the ebay store link to CKO's tools section CKO Guitar

I have a close up of the file.

IMG_0558.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just wanted to say that I bought a set of the CKO files, and sent them directly back.

Really poorly made.

The teeth were badly cut, uneven, and not very round on the bottom.

The files themselves were not even straight, and would not cut right.

Woodenspoke- how were the ones you got from them?

Just wanted to say that I bought a set of the CKO files, and sent them directly back.

Really poorly made.

The teeth were badly cut, uneven, and not very round on the bottom.

The files themselves were not even straight, and would not cut right.

Woodenspoke- how were the ones you got from them?

You can see a closeup of the teeth, they look fine to me and cut fine. The shaft is straight as I would expect it to be given its heft. Possibly CKO has changed vendors or your expectations are too high. I did say in my review that the files do not have a round bottom. Even the SM files are more D shaped than round.

I dont think any of the current files sold that look like those CKO files are all that different. If I had any expectations that I would find a better set using another vendor I would not have bought these.

Let us know what you do find and how they compare.

I finally got my nut files today (warmoth shipping isn't the fastest). I can't find any difference between them and the first ones reviewed here, they are made in japan by Hiroshima Files. Pretty good deal for $64.

+1 I have a set of the Warmoth and they are just as good as my old Stew Mac set.

I was lookin' at those cko files, not so sure about them now from what orgmorg said. I just looked on Warmoth to see what was there. They apear to have the same ibanez set that LMII has, only the warmoth one is almost 30 bucks less. The cheap set warmoth has also looks very similar to an LMII set, but it's like 15 bucks or so cheaper.