Safest Way To Cut Finished Wood

First post here... I'm a reasonably competent do-it-yourself type with a fair bit of experience modding guitars, mostly changing electronics and some minor wood-cutting.

I recently bought a 7-string routed for EMG 707s... For those not familiar with them, EMG's 7-string pickups use a 3.5" x 1.5" perfectly rectangular rout. They actually use a bass pickup casing for them. Anyway, I abhor active pickups and will shortly replace them with a couple DiMarzios. In a few days, I'll have all the pots, pickups, etc. that I need to make the change, except for a pair of custom-made 7-string bezels which I'll ultimately use to mount the pickups. I'm having to have them fabricated because no one makes 7-string rings with an enlarged outside dimension capable of mounting the rings to the body of a guitar routed for EMGs (in other words, about 3.8" long), and they won't be done for a couple months.

7-string passive pickups, including the mounting tabs, unfortunately are 3.7" long. I'll need to cut approximately a 3/4" x 1/10" slot in each side of the pickup cavities to accommodate the mounting tabs so that I can temporarily direct-mount them as I wait for the proper bezels to be fabricated. It will look ugly in the meantime, but I'm not really worried about that... However, if there's some way I could make this actually look pretty (comparable to a guitar that's been fully routed prior to finishing), I'd be happy with keeping the pickups direct-mounted.

I'll be cutting into Mahogany with a glossy polyurethane finish. My plan right now is to just use a dremel with a 3/4" sanding bit (with the finish taped down). I also have a drill press and could buy some routing bits if necessary. Basically, is there a way of cutting these tabs that wouldn't chip the finish at ALL and would result in an aesthetically pleasing direct mounted look? Or should I just get the job over with using the dremel and then install the mounting rings when they're finally finished? Either way, it will eventually look (and sound) great... It's just a matter of if I really need the bezels at all.

I would go old school and buy a chisel then sand. Sanding that cavity is a time waster.

You can also buy a router bit for the dremel, however without a guide it will be rough free handing the cut.

I don't mind wasting time as it's just something I'll do in my free time... Would it make sense to cut the top of the finish with a razor prior to the rest of the cutting, or would you use a chisel for that? I forgot to mention I'll also be cutting through a thin maple quilt... Also, I have a simple guide for my dremel, but would still be using my hands to steady it as opposed to a stabilized guide. I'm not very experienced at working with wood, so if this works out well, great, and if it doesn't, it's insignificant since I have the bezels coming anyway... In other words, I won't hold anyone responsible (but myself) if I screw up :D

I don't mind wasting time as it's just something I'll do in my free time... Would it make sense to cut the top of the finish with a razor prior to the rest of the cutting, or would you use a chisel for that? I forgot to mention I'll also be cutting through a thin maple quilt... Also, I have a simple guide for my dremel, but would still be using my hands to steady it as opposed to a stabilized guide. I'm not very experienced at working with wood, so if this works out well, great, and if it doesn't, it's insignificant since I have the bezels coming anyway... In other words, I won't hold anyone responsible (but myself) if I screw up :D

Because you are using a ring you have a fudge factor. Have ring in hand before you start so you know where your limits are. Most finishes are soft enough not to worry about massive cracking but it is a good idea to score around where you are working anyway since the results will be cleaner. If you must use a sanding drum buy lots of coarse paper. You can also remove most of the wood with a drill bit (brad point) first. If you have a drill press a Fostner bit is a perfect choice for this application as it is for most cavity work.

The bottom line is what ever works for you use it.

Ahh ok, so I guess it would probably be impossible to make it look nearly as perfect as a guitar that had been routed for direct mount passives prior to finishing. I kind of expected that. Thanks, I won't worry about it and will just count on the rings covering the cut and any minor damage.