Do You Have All The Parts In Front Of You When You Start Building?

Mitch

Do you have all the parts in front of you when you start building?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I alway have the bridge and tail before I finish the guitar, so I can drill the holes before final sanding. I rarely have the pickups and the misc hardware before it's finished. Things like straplocks I pick up usually after the guitar is finished as part of an order for another guitar. I keep a broken pot, switch and jack on hand to be able to measure when I drill holes. I don't keep stock on them.

-John

No.

But I always have the bridge in hand before I cut wood!

Soooooo many things depend on the bridge - neck angle, fretboard radius, pickup rout depths & locations, control positions, etc - you just cannot wait or change your mind on the bridge in the middle of the build and expect to have any of those things work out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure if i were to build for other people, then I would use the first half of the payment to buy parts so that I can have them all in front of me. There are just a few things I won't do without the parts in front of me though. You know, obvious things, like placing the bridge, or tuners, or sizing the nut, or routing pickups (unless you use the same pickups every time).

I'm sure if i were to build for other people, then I would use the first half of the payment to buy parts so that I can have them all in front of me.

pretty much the way i do it. for my own builds the only thing i need before i start is the bridge

+1 Bridge

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...