Stainless Steel Frets

I'd like to try stainless steel frets on my next build. I hear that they can be very hard to level and dress. Is it just a matter of having a litle more patience should I do to do a slight fret levelling/crowning on my neck?

It seems that with the amount of playing I do and my playing style, I wear out the frets a lot. If I could reduce the number of times I have to re-dress the frets or re-fret, that would be great. Actually, my '97 Strat is in need of a re-fret in the next 12 months for sure.

Edited by guitar2005

I have not tried SS frets on an actual neck. But I got a sample from a Japanese supplier with all their available sized pressed into something similar to a one piece maple neck. So out of curiosity I tried to level the frets with my usual tools. It was no problem at all. Just a tad more time to get them there but I didn't notice any significant wear on my fret files either so I don't think that it sound be to hard. But hopefully someone with more experience in this field will chip.

To clarify:

I use a straight aluminum beam whit 400 grit stick-ti type sandpaper to level the frets. It worked fine on the SS frets, but took slightly longer time to level with this. For crowning I use diamond crowning files

I use all the same tools too without issues. Bend them properly though because they are not very forgiving... Yeah, it takes a while longer to work them too.

Great! I think that I'll be trying this on my next build then.

Does the Stew Mac fret nibbler (for bound fretboards) work well on SS frets?

I have ss frets on 2 builds before, it's not too bad. It kind of ruined my fret cutters and it's harder to file flush but with a good file it's not a problem with a good file. Dressing and leveling is the same just takes a little longer. I bought mine from warmoth but it's $25 but you can get 2 guitars out of the amount they give you for one. I'd say go for it it would be worth the little extra work you put into it.