Diy Top And Back Clamping Systen

Here is something I came up with to clamp the top and back on, as yet I cannot see why it won,t work with a little refining and would not take a lot of time , money as most builders of acoustics use moulds in thier builds.

clampjig.jpg

Forgive the drawing it's the best I could do in paint.

Here's how it works, you drill a set of holes into the mould put in the holes threaded inserts, make cauls, drill through one end to attatch to the mould with the right sized bolts. As you tighten the bolts the top gets clamped to the sides, it may take a little tweaking to get the pressure /angle right but i'm sure someone could work out a way to solve that.

Edited by jaycee

In my 2 acoustic builds.. i have used home made spool clamps which were really cheap and really effective to glue my tops and backs to the sides... only issue with this, that yours may solve is that if your not extremely careful, your sides can skew a little bit. Arnt threaded inserts pretty expensive?

In my 2 acoustic builds.. i have used home made spool clamps which were really cheap and really effective to glue my tops and backs to the sides... only issue with this, that yours may solve is that if your not extremely careful, your sides can skew a little bit. Arnt threaded inserts pretty expensive?

That's what I used on my one as well, homemade spool clamps. The problem I found here in the UK is the availability of the threaded inserts in small quantities. I managed to track down a firm talked to one of the guys there and he sent me about a 12, 6mm and 8mm threads in headed and non headed types as samples once I explained what I wanted them for (neck bolt on) in large quantities they work out about 50p each

Just had a look on ebay works out at $11 for 50 delivered

Edited by jaycee

• 2 weeks later...