I'm crying over this....never happened before

Most likely in the 30 mark, if a "prototype" is worth $5,000 more.

The regular series goes for $25,000. It's a 250 or so piece inlay, mostly abalam. Specially developed stuff, extra thick, about .10 in some cases. It's quite the CNC mill technical wonder.

Craig

It might be a work of art, it might be a really impressive inlay, but ya know, I just think it's tacky as hell. Looking at the close up's, it's really not as impressive as I thought it was, just a nice design, I guess I can't really be impressed by that stuff though. The CNC route everything, Water jet CNC cut the shell, and inlay it.

I have the utmost respect for guys like Craig, and hopefully people respect me for the reason that all our shell is hand cut, routes are done by hand and it's all fitted by hand. I don't really have much respect for CNC builders, only because I know CNC very well, I was a machinist before I built guitars, and with CAD/CAM programs, CNC is very easy in the simplistic routes like inlay requires. It only requires money to do. I look at that PRS dragon, and Craigs work, and I think "so somebody wants to pay 25K for a guitar that, a guitar that they will produce a run of, and every one will be identical (save for teh figuring in the shell) vs paying a custom shop for a one off inlay."

if it were my money, I'd want something that nobody else was going to have :D

Well, you know I WANTED to say that, but... :D

B)

Personally I think it's not that artistic of a dragon. It's too "beastly" for me.

I like my dragons with a bit more modern "stealth" look to them.

I am in the middle of designing one that I hope will express my vision.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks LGM.. keep cutting!

Craig

I would agree with LGM/Clavin. PRS has a very successfull marketing program and/or auora about them that leads people to believe that their guitars are "hand crafted" from the wood blanks down to the final goodbye from the factory.

Their image is one of a handful of highly skilled / experienced luthiers slowly carving out masterpieces while sipping fine wine and smoking Cuban cigars (well, maybe not the cigars). I'm not saying that the guitars aren't excellent - just an observation concerning their image.

As for the inlay on that guitar - I would be very happy to own that guitar but would never pay more than a few thousand for it. It's clearly a PRS collector's kind of thing. I like the detail on the teeth. I wouldn't have put it on a red guitar - maybe something more subtle to try and tone down the whole look a bit (if that's possible with a huge dragon on it).

you have to have some respect from the people who designed the dragon though. I think that all though it may be tacky and somewhat frightening looking. And it is more of a mantlepiece than a guitar. It still did take time and effort to make, that is an on going battle i fight with myself, love/hate with prs. i always thought they were kind of haughty guitars but you have to show respect.

Ace: Eric Martin is the lead singer for Mr. Big (lol or last time i checked) Paul Gilbert played guitar for them......lol yeah they had some pretty cool tunes of course Mr. Sheeehan whaled on the bass also. What am i supposed to be looking for when i click the hyperlink? all i get is a goofy cartoon websight called Homester.com :D lol ...maybe im not loking in the right place lol

I think it's a really cool guitar, but there are a few reasons I wouldn't buy it.

1. It's got no inlays on the front of the neck. Makes it ugly difficult to play IMO.

2. The dragon would be looking upwards if I held the guitar the way I want to.

3. Guitars with that shape don't hang the way I want them to.

4. It's got a 22 fret neck.

5. I would avoid playing it too much because I know I'm a bit clumsy, so I'd damage the finnish pretty soon.

6. The price. Gimme that guitar with the stuff above fixed and a price tag at $1500 and I'd buy it (if I had the money), but the way it is now, NO WAY.

I do like the inlay and color though.