Spring Tightening On Trem

I have a guitar that the tension on the trem pulls the bridge up so that it does not sit flat against the body. How do I tighten the tremolo springs? Do I add more springs, get tighter springs ( if so how do I gauge the tension ), or what do I do to tighten the existing springs?

Any wisdom to share on this?

Jef

take of the back cover... there are two screws holding the trem claw, tighten them to bring the trem down or loosen them to raise it... easy!

i had one that needed this the other day and when i opened it up there where only two springs.... i would have 3 if you play on using the trem with 9's or 10's for the strings. 4 springs if you are using 11's... and 5 if you dont plan on using the trem very often. Some springs are better than others though so it does vary - just experiment with what feels right to you

i don't know if its right but here is how i have my strat with vintage style trem set up

1st i loaded it up with all 5 springs then i tightened the trem screws down and backed them off a half turn then i cranked the springs down util the back to the trem plate is about 1/16" off the body. and now its fairly stable.