Tuner Poll - Sperzel Trimlock Vs Wilkinson Ez Lok

sperzels hands down.

the wilkinson EZ lok are just a two holed post and i find them awkward to string up but i am sure with practice it gets easier, does deem fiddly though

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/ac...on_ez_lock.html

trimlocks are a proper locking tuner as in they have a clamp to lock the string in place

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/sperzel.html

Sperzels! Even more so now after my friend ran into tuner issues with a bass and ended up dealing with Sperzel directly, great people, great service, great product. I believe you can just order directly from them now, that is what the owner told my friend. Their number is probably on their site. J

You cannot really compare the Wilkinson EZ-LOK to any other real locking tuner. I got a set of Wilkinson for my Bigsby-equipped Tele and I must say that even thou the guitar isn't finished yet, I have already started to regret that choice. It is, as Wez said awkward to string, but even more awkward to get the strings off. And during pre-finish testing I had to take the strings on and off a few times to adjust the placements of the hardware. I almost threw the tuners out the window. I had to use pliers to get the strings off the guitar (didn't want to cut them off and use new once every time). Hm, had a look at the reverend page. They recommend cutters to remove the strings. I think I will have to get new tuners. Anyone up for a set of almost brand new Wilkinson's?

My personal favorites, when we are talking locking tuners, are Grover. You might give them a try. Super smooth tuners and a locking system that doesn't bite. And no bulky locking nut under the head that adds weight.

Sperzels.

Although, in comparing them to the Wilkinson, I bought a pair of open-back Sperzels to use with my Flying V project. They're similarly set up as the Wilkinson, but only require about 1/3 rotation around the post to get to the other hole, and no funky wrapping. Just over the top, turn 1/3 rotation, down through the hole and out the back of the tuner. Removing the strings is pretty easy as well, and the exposed gears look great.

I've had Sperzels for a while, but I'm willing to try the Grovers. Anyone know if they come in black?

My personal favorites, when we are talking locking tuners, are Grover. You might give them a try. Super smooth tuners and a locking system that doesn't bite. And no bulky locking nut under the head that adds weight.

+1 Grover locking, super simple, lower weight.

I've had Sperzels for a while, but I'm willing to try the Grovers. Anyone know if they come in black?

Yes.

I bought a pair of open-back Sperzels to use with my Flying V project. They're similarly set up as the Wilkinson, but only require about 1/3 rotation around the post to get to the other hole, and no funky wrapping. Just over the top, turn 1/3 rotation, down through the hole and out the back of the tuner. Removing the strings is pretty easy as well, and the exposed gears look great.

I have tried them too. IMO they were good but not great. I think it takes a while to getting used to have the sharp cutoff end of the string on the back of the head.

i use sperzel trim locks on every guitar i make, i even spent an hour doing an accurate cad model of them :D logo placement and everything haha anyways yea; they are my tuners of choice its only getting the placment of the pin hole that was tricky at first, but once you got that down they are the way to go :D

i like the planet waves too, very solid. The only slight concerns i had was the amount of pressure it took to cut through the low E string... not loads but with heavier strings it would only get worse... and also, whilst they are great for the player - they are definatly a pain in the arse for the tech