Please Could People Help Me To Build My First Ever Guitar ?

I just ran the wire through a hole I drilled from the bridge pickup cavity to the hole for the stud, stripped about 3/4" of the wire, and tapped the stud into the hole with the bare wire coming up from the bottom of the hole through the middle of the stud, then screwed the post into it.

ok cool do you have a diagram or a picture of you'r guitar and you putting the wire in ??

I think I have to stress the usefulness of the search function on the forum, as well as reading the tutorials on the main site, the pinned topics on different areas, the reading of specialized books and articles (on the net and in print)...there´s a lot of info, pics, discussions...a lot to learn from. I think you might learn more this way and trying to figure things out slowly than being given every bit of information...

ok thank you also one thing how do you determine the bridge and tail piece position??

Edited by NAWY2J

I think MB just suggested using the search and you respond by asking another direct question that has been answered more times than i have done something i do a lot (lack of imagination fuelled by alcohol tonight)... if you have the initiative to take on such a big project, surely you have the initiative to search and learn a bit more so you can ask questions that may produce answers more useful to you

i am going to give you the simplest answer i can, use this calculator

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

its the clearest answer you will get but you need to at least understand what your scale length is and what bridge you have before using it.

use the search!!!

there are lots of people willing to help but you have to do a bit of work yourself first

:D

I think MB just suggested using the search and you respond by asking another direct question that has been answered more times than i have done something i do a lot (lack of imagination fuelled by alcohol tonight)... if you have the initiative to take on such a big project, surely you have the initiative to search and learn a bit more so you can ask questions that may produce answers more useful to you

i am going to give you the simplest answer i can, use this calculator

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

its the clearest answer you will get but you need to at least understand what your scale length is and what bridge you have before using it.

use the search!!!

there are lots of people willing to help but you have to do a bit of work yourself first

ye i know i have tried looking for stuff already e.g trying to find the bridge postion but nothing came up and also i looked for how to earth the wire ?

You really, really need to read Melvyn's book. There are tons of answers to questions you don't even know you need to ask yet.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say, don't attempt to build a guitar without first reading that book. It's amazing how many little things come up that require guidance when you start building.

Edited by Rick500

You really, really need to read Melvyn's book. There are tons of answers to questions you don't even know you need to ask yet.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say, don't attempt to build a guitar without first reading that book. It's amazing how many little things come up that require guidance when you start building.

Just curious....how long ago did you find out about this assignment?

Good Luck

Steve

(the post above was added to for emphasis)

Just curious....how long ago did you find out about this assignment?

Good Luck

Steve

(the post above was added to for emphasis)

november but 'cause we in school we got to do all these research and all taht wich took up loads of time

Edited by NAWY2J

I hate to ask, but how much research have you actually done? Bridge placement is given to you by the fret calculator, bridge grounding is not that complicated. The search function and reading the tutorials would have answered 1/3 of your questions. Reading 1 decent guitar building book would have answer then basic questions that you keep asking.

NAWY2J ... this really is a helpful forum of people, but you need to demonstrate that you're trying to find the answers yourself. Instead of asking basic questions, tell us what you found in your research and then tell us what you want to clarify or double check.

Now for some basic help ...

Do you know your scale length? That will help determine the bridge placement. Take your neck and measure from the bridge side of the nut to the 12th fret and double it ... you'll probably come up with 25.5", or maybe 24.75". So the point at which your strings break on your bridge will probably need to be 25.5" back from your nut. But got to the Stewmac site and enter your frets and scale length and it will give you the specific / accurate measurements for your bridge.

Stewmac Fret Calculator

As for the tailpiece, you've got a bit of flexibility there. It'll be about 1.5" further back from the bridge but take a look in a guitar store at one you like. Also when you are doing that, note the slight angling of the bridge.

As for earthing your electronics ... if your using a T-O-M bridge, carefully drill a hole from you electronics cavity through to where one of the TOM posts will go into the body ... you'll probably need an aircraft drill to do that. Feed your earth wire through and (preferably) solder it to one of the posts before you tap it into the body. But go back to the Stewmac site for wiring diagrams which will show you all your earthing (and other) points. Basically though, you need to drill connecting holes through each of the cavities and jack outlet.

Stewmac Wiring Diagrams

I think it would help if you post a few pictures as well so that we can all see how you're progressing.

NAWY2J, here is my suggestion, maybe a little late. Make a convincing suggestion to your teacher that it would be better to spend your time and focus on the theory and design of a guitar build rather than get mucked up tool work and end up with a rushed and faulty final product. You could make drawings of how you are determining the neck angle and bridge height. You can give the pro's and con's of different design styles and how you use that info in your design. You can make a schematic of your proposed electronics for the guitar, and explain why you chose whatever setup. Then when you've got the whole plan on paper you could start the physical work of the project. I think you will be much more satisfied with your results with this approach.

I hate to ask, but how much research have you actually done? Bridge placement is given to you by the fret calculator, bridge grounding is not that complicated. The search function and reading the tutorials would have answered 1/3 of your questions. Reading 1 decent guitar building book would have answer then basic questions that you keep asking.

Tahnk you every one and yes i have read the book and it is just confusing me even more but thanks for how to ground and all that and i will post pics when im building churz