Tuning Problem

I'm having problems with a set neck electric that I recently got. When I tune up and play fretted chords, it plays fine. However, open chords are way out of tune. For example, when I play open A5, it sounds horrible. In order for it to sound right, I have to play 5th string open with 4th string on the 1st fret and then slightly bend the 4th string 1st fret up. Same with all open 5th cords.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? It has a tune-o-matic bridge if that helps. Thank you in advance.

:D

I'm having problems with a set neck electric that I recently got. When I tune up and play fretted chords, it plays fine. However, open chords are way out of tune. For example, when I play open A5, it sounds horrible. In order for it to sound right, I have to play 5th string open with 4th string on the 1st fret and then slightly bend the 4th string 1st fret up. Same with all open 5th cords.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? It has a tune-o-matic bridge if that helps. Thank you in advance.

:D

Sounds like a problem with the nut.

I'm having problems with a set neck electric

New guitar? Used guitar?

Try placing a capo on the first fret-- are the open chords still out of tune?

If not, then the nut probably isn't properly cut -- best take the guitar to the tech at a store and have him do a full set up, since there might be other issues to sort out. A setup doesn't cost much and will save you a lot of effort.

There's a good setup guide on the PG main site, if you want to give it a go yourself.

Do a full setup on the guitar, adjusting your neck relief, action and intonation and if the problem is still there it could be the nut like bluesy mentioned. Meaning the frets are in their correct positions to the bridge but the distance from the nut to the bridge is slightly off. There will be a tutorial on the main projectguitar.com page for setting up your guitar. Goodluck!