Unconventional Finishes

angussg

upholster your guitar with leather :D

but i think that would fall under material finish

so i really have no input into this discussion

Kenny

About 5 years ago I made a wood die with grape skins. We have a huge arbor off the back of our house to support a mature vine. Each year, hundreds of grapes drop off and stain our patio. Every summer, I break out the bleach and scrub brush to clean off the cement, but one year it occured to me that the stain from the grape skins might make a good wood stain.

I skinned enough grapes to fill a gallon bucket with skins. Then I spread them out on a tarp in the sun to dry. After they were crispy dry, I fashioned a mortise and pestel with a heavy glass mixing bowl and an ash baseball bat (Louisville Slugger). After grinding them down to a course powder, I gathered and tied it into a fine cheese cloth and put it it in a small jar. Then I filled the jar 1/4 of the way with denatured alcohol, capped it and left it for a few weeks. Then with gloves on, I squeezed the left over solution from the cheese cloth bag and discarded it with the skins.

Using the stain was a challenge because it tended to settle, leaving the bulk of the pigment at the bottom of the jar. I had to apply several coats to "build up" the color density I was going for. The alcohol based stain also tended to lift the nap on the wood, so after the second application of stain, I had to sand the project (a keep-sake box) with 600 grit befre applying more stain. I used a water based urethane for a top coat and it took away some of the warm tone of the color. Next time I'll use an oil based clear.

Edited by toneblind

I really want to see someone with plants growing out of their axe - like Chia-Pet for guitar.

Yeah like cress or something easy for the first one.

This would entirely possible and extremely easy using bromileads. Kinda hard to play though???

I had thought of finishing one in computer circuit board before.

i did do some gold leaf experiments but didnt have much luck with it... i will try again at some point as i know it can be done well, still invlives lacquer though

i suppose guitars with plates on the front like mirror or metal are a bit more common than they used to be... seeing more guitars left raw (or usually lightly oiled)

Gold leaf isn't that difficult to work with, depending on the quality of the gold leaf and how pure it is. Some gold leaf is affected (bubbled) by 2k lacquers, but, if it's sealed with nail varnish first it takes 2k lacquers okay.

I'm working on a guitar at the moment using gold leaf, creates some amazing effects.

Samurai.2.jpg

Jim :D

I've seen some examples of people using fabric under a few layers of epoxy. Looks pretty cool. I would think that you would run the risk of ratty looking edges to your electronics routes but the examples that I've seen have been sharp and clean.

The edges are kept clean by doing two things - 1) using enough glue to soak the fabric a bit - not too much, enough to stiffen though. and 2) Using a fresh xacto blade when cutting at a 45 degree angle along the edges.

I've done them and almost prefer them at this point as it's so easy.

Gold leaf isn't that difficult to work with, depending on the quality of the gold leaf and how pure it is. Some gold leaf is affected (bubbled) by 2k lacquers, but, if it's sealed with nail varnish first it takes 2k lacquers okay.

I'm working on a guitar at the moment using gold leaf, creates some amazing effects.

Samurai.2.jpg

Jim :D

Just checked out the progress pics on your website, I knew if that's the back of the guitar then the front's going to be really special...love the way it's standing on the pickups.

Mike