Trem To Hardtail Conversion?

i want to convert my ibanez rg from locking trem to hardtail using the tutorial on this site. my only problem is that i am only able to get pine or plywood as there are no wood suppliers anywhere near me that sell tone woods.

i will also be filling the pickup and control cavities, (im converting the guitar to a pgm)

are these woods suitable for the conversion?

i want to convert my ibanez rg from locking trem to hardtail using the tutorial on this site. my only problem is that i am only able to get pine or plywood as there are no wood suppliers anywhere near me that sell tone woods.

i will also be filling the pickup and control cavities, (im converting the guitar to a pgm)

where are you located? If in the states home depot sells poplar. Yes plywood is suitable. Pine would even work, but poplar would be a better choice and is readily available.

By PGM, you mean an Ibanez PGM right? If so, you need better wood than pine, especially for the trem replacement. I have seen a few pine guitars here, and for a patch up on a guitar that I don't care much I wouldn't mind using it. But not for my main guitar.

First of all, what kind of wood is your RG? If you can't find it locally, I'm sure that there should be someone next to you that makes furniture, cabinets, etc... even some member of the board that might sell you a piece the size you need cheap.

yes ibanez paul gilbert model, the rg is basswood, i am in australia and have been trying to get this project up and running for over a year, but the lack of materials has held me back. i have tried finding someone on forums and businesses that can sell me some but have had no luck, and any suppliers i find are overseas and the cost is very high.

Edited by dimefan90

There are plenty of usable tonewoods in Oz. And you have the luxury of having some species locally that no one else can get without import costs. Pretty much and hardwood is a tonewood. There are no rules set in stone on what can be used for building guitars and what can't. You can even build a guitar out of MDF (sure it will sounds horrible, but it can done). So for the little bit of piece you need, find out what hardwoods you can get local and go with one of those.

Search through the members on the board, there are quite a few from Australia, they can help a ton.

where are you located? If in the states home depot sells poplar. Yes plywood is suitable. Pine would even work, but poplar would be a better choice and is readily available.

How about cedar?Alot of Western Red Cedar is sold in most places...I would think it would work fine as cedar is well known to hold screws well and has a very low deterioration rate...