1st Attempt

My son got a double neck guitar kit off ebay, the SG style.

He has inserted the necks into the body and they are seated very tightly, and the angle of both necks are less than a 1/2" above the body.

The problem is the tail end of the fret board is not touching the body, it is approx. 1/8" off the body.

Should he remove more of the base of the neck to lower the tail onto the body, or will it not effect the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

My son got a double neck guitar kit off ebay, the SG style.

He has inserted the necks into the body and they are seated very tightly, and the angle of both necks are less than a 1/2" above the body.

The problem is the tail end of the fret board is not touching the body, it is approx. 1/8" off the body.

Should he remove more of the base of the neck to lower the tail onto the body, or will it not effect the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about SGs, but the fretboard on Teles doesn't touch either. Maybe that's the way it's meant to be?

A little more info on the kit would be helpfull as well. Just because Gibson built the SG a certain way does not mean this company is doing it exactly the same. Is it a bolt on neck kit (I am assuming it probably is)?

Double neck electric guitar kit with all the hardware. Everything to complete with the exception it does not have the paints and finishes. Comes with a 12 string and 6 string neck with crown position markers. Neck are hard maple and have the truss rod and frets installed. Fingerboard is Rosewood. Body is basswood. All holes and wiring are drilled out. 24 3/4 in. scale lenght. 4 humbucking pickups. Tone and volume controls. Tune-0-matic bridge.

Yes the necks are bolt on.

dn2.JPG

The problem is the tail end of the fret board is not touching the body, it is approx. 1/8" off the body. Should he remove more of the base of the neck to lower the tail onto the body, or will it not effect the sound quality?

You have a little bit of measuring and thinking to do before you proceed. I was going to suggest setting up your bridges and necks and checking the neck angle, height etc. with a straightedge. But you'll have to do that after you've measured, situated and drilled out your bridge and tailpiece stud holes. If its a kit then the components should be prefitted, ie. no need to cut things further.

As long as the neck pockets are tight the tail being off the guitar body is a non-issue.

Now that you have set the bridges take a long straight edge and figure out your action height. A quick measurement will tell if the action is low enough without adjusting the neck angle. If you are not able to get the action low enough you have 2 choices. Recess the TOM or angle the neck.