Black Limba (Korina)

daveq

I'm thinking about starting on a new one next month (hopefully while finishing the current project) using Black Limba. Has anyone used it before? Does anyone know where I might be able to snag enough for a neck blank? I have seen some suppliers that have the body blanks but it's harder to find for a neck for some reason. I've checked most of the suppliers in the projectguitar supplier list.

Any idea if you have to seal before finishing?

Great that I have a chanche to help you out now dave....I have a very stunning korina body blank here, which looks greater than any wood I have seen before.

It has a nice color with a dramatic conrasting black figure. I did not finish the guitar so far, but it has a very nice resonant sound if I knock on it and korina is one of the most famous tonewood for guitars anyway. You can buy it from Larry who is always very helpful and should have a big amount of black limba in stock. He custom mills the pieces to your requirements without charging a fee for it.

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

I have a piece long enough to make two necks out of, but I don't know how long it will be before I get around to it. I think Korina is regular (not Black) Limba. Mine is definately Black Limba, kinda greyish with dark streaks. Let me know what you think of it when you get something built.

Thanks for those replies. I found Larry's site and it looks like he may be one of the few who currently has it in stock. He's out sick this week though - I hope he gets through it OK (flu). It looks like one of those woods that could be either really sweet looking or just dingy looking - depending on the piece. It's got me interested though - so I'm going to track it down.

Thanks again.

Larry always sends you pictures before you buy if you want that....So no risk here....but I warn you....I'll kill you if you buy his last Korina blank....I need some Korina for my next project soon....

Don't worry, I've found more body blanks on other sites. I'm still not even sure that I want to use it though - I have mixed feelings about it's looks.