Tru-oil

I think I've decided on tru oil because it seems a lot easier than other finishes for my acoustic build. I want to know if I can get a high gloss with it using rubbing compound and how long should I let it cure. also I saw this http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Stoc...9998&sr=8-3 can I use that to fill the grain too and then just using tru-oil. I realise I might need to buy a couple bottles of it since it's a whole acoustic.

I think I've decided on tru oil because it seems a lot easier than other finishes for my acoustic build.

I love and use a lot of Tru Oil. but if you are going for a high gloss table top look, it takes some effort and is not neccesarly easier than other finishes.

On the BC filler / sealer, it works, but I was less than impressed with it. The way it smells and acts reminds me of airplane glue. As a filler, it was fiddly to work with and takes several coats and has a lot of initial shrink back.

For grain filling, I wet sand with strait Tru Oil and some 400 grit, it creates a oil / wood dust slurry. Depending on the wood you are working with, it can take a couple sessions.

Although it takes some effort, I go this route over other fill methods for consistent even coloring. I think that Tru Oil just looks better on bare wood than other product.

Once filled, I build up some body and wet sand / block it down with some 1000 and mineral spirits, rinse and repeat as necessary till you get it all built up and level.

I then spray a couple last coats, wait about a week, then rub it out.

You can buy Tru Oil in a rattle can or thin it for spraying, 2 parts oil to one part mineral spirits works well for me in a small detail gun.

Here are a couple pics that show the result.

Walnut / birdseye

td8-lastcoat4.jpg

r003-29.jpg

Can you provide a little more detail on your wet sanding process?

For me its been an ever moving target, each time testing / trying / refining things a bit.

I use a big pink eraser for a block and work maybe a 2" wide x 3 - 4" long area at a time blending into the next section above as I go.

Once that vertical section is done, I lightly re-wet the whole strip and use a long strokes to burnish it in and smooth it out a bit.

The next days session, is a rinse and repeat.

I used to wipe it off cross grain, but now just let it build between sessions.

The long full burnishing stokes don't leave much surface residue to worry about and what is there just gets ground back up in the following session.

After the fill is done and dried, I lightlysand any surface buildup back down with some 800 and mineral spirits.

I've got a couple builds coming up, some walnut and some mahogany, and I'll try and remember to take some pics of the possess next time.

For grain filling, I wet sand with strait Tru Oil and some 400 grit, it creates a oil / wood dust slurry. Depending on the wood you are working with, it can take a couple sessions. Although it takes some effort, I go this route over other fill methods for consistent even coloring. I think that Tru Oil just looks better on bare wood than other product.

Quarter - that is one Beautiful steel! WOW!

Can the method you've described above be used when staining or dying the wood? If so, is the color done prior to or after filling? I'll soon be working with an ash body and want to do some color on it before I oil it....any tips there?

Thanks,

Troy